Bad Sterling Mixing Valve in Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Tleast

Reaction score
House is about 13 years old. My shower's mixing valve, (trim ring stamped "sterling") is either all hot or all cold when turned on (i.e. no longer mixes the hot and cold correctly)

Is this an overhaul or a complete valve replacement?

Thanks a bunch!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of it.
Probably a little rebuild will have it working like new...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
An exterior picture may suffice.
I just want to ID the valve hopefully get you info on it.

Tleast

Reaction score
An exterior picture may suffice.
I just want to ID the valve hopefully get you info on it.

Sorry took so long. Here is the pic. Thanks!

Attachments

• Sink.jpg
    Sink.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,834

susandoc

Reaction score
I have two of these "sterling" stamped tub/shower valves, and one seems to be leaking at the handle. They are set in cultured marble walls.

We are going to remodel and tear out the cultured marble in one bathroom so can replace the valve (when I understand more about all the different valves).

Wondered if anyone knew if there is a "compatible" trim we could use to update the other one?

kwspears

Reaction score
I have similar setup in both my shower units. Can't get water fully hot, or worse, every once in a while a blast of scalding hot water comes through. I have replaced the mixing valve with a new one, but still haven't fully fixed the problem.IMG_1382 (598x800).jpg Not sure if there's something I can do to the mixing tank (I think that's what it is) behind the valve or if I have to do replace it. Any help you could provide would be helpful.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The outer stem, and the inner balancing spool, are readily available at a plumbing store ( not usually at any of the hardware stores.). NOT necessary to open the wall and change the valve body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks