Help! Toto flapper replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Roscoe Riley

Reaction score
I've been looking around in the archives for info but I have some questions.

I have a Toto toilet that was installed in 2002. It needs a new flapper. The toilet doesn't say Drake or anything else on it, but since the installation manual indicates for models CST 744S, CST 744SL, CST 754SF I guess I've got a Drake or maybe a Dartmouth (??)

Anyway, the flapper that needs replacing is flat, with an eye for the chain, like one in the pictures shown at this thread
attachment.php

although my chain does not have a little white plastic tube on it.

All of the potential replacements I'm finding are domed, with holes.

Questions:
  1. Is this domed flapper the correct replacement nowdays?
  2. How does the chain hook to it?? :D
  3. Suggestions for a reliable online seller would be appreciated

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• korky_red.jpg
    korky_red.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 7,114
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The first picture is the top of the flapper,
The second picture is the bottom of the flapper.

Just pick up a red flapper for TOTO.
Korky makes replaceplacements, you will find them next to the Korky Quietfill valves in Lowes Hardware.

thu175s.jpg

Last edited:

theplumber

Reaction score
If you can, pick up the blue flapper they sell for this toilet. It's the same size as that red flapper but comes w/out the extra side hole allowing the entire tank to empty. Usefull if you need a bigger flush.

bigcountrybaloo

Reaction score
Toto model number

I have three Toto toilets in my new to me house, and I'm trying to figure out which flapper valve to use to replace a leaking one. I can't seem to find model numbers for the toilets to make sure I get the right flapper. I didn't know until last night that there was more than one, but then I saw two variations at the hardware store. One has a round bowl, which I think might be a Supreme Model, and two of them are elongated which I think might be a ultramax. Is there a way to check the model numbers to be sure, the packaging for the two different flappers made it seem like they don't work with the other.

Update: the two elongated ones have a c866 marking inside the tank, and the round one the only mark I can see is a single "s" I've also attached a photo of the round one. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6,924
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You either have the Red or the Blue flapper.
Look inside the tank.

Most tanks will also have a model number inside.

inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited:

bigcountrybaloo

Reaction score
Model number

Thanks I just found the number on two of them, but nothing is turning up in a google search. All of the flappers have been replaced with non-oem parts it looks like, so color is not helping unfortunately.

JPKatz

Management Consultant
Reaction score
Toto Flapper

I have three Toto toilets that use the same blue flappers that are described above. I have had to replace the flappers several times. The chain tears through the rubber after about 6 to 8 months. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Are there any solutions.

Thanks

Jerry K

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I have three Toto toilets that use the same blue flappers that are described above. I have had to replace the flappers several times. The chain tears through the rubber after about 6 to 8 months. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Are there any solutions.

Thanks

Jerry K

I get a lot of blue flappers back that have torn.
You can re-pierce them through the loop in the front, but there is no other way to fix them.
I have ripped one myself at home and i know exactly when i did it, i know i push down hard on the trip lever and felt it rip.

famattjr

Reaction score
"Counterbalanced" flapper?

I replaced my fill valve in a toto toilet so I decided to replace the flapper also which was about 10 years old, with a Korky 3" flapper, the one that has an adjustment feature. But the old white one, shown on top of the tank here, had a "fin" on the opposite side that held it open once you depressed the handle, since the fin functioned to keep the flapper open for a few seconds. . Now with the new one I have to hold the handle down to complete the flush. Does anyone recognize the old white flapper in the photo? Do I have to get this same model?

Flapp.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks