Chrismas Lights And Moisture

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
I have my lights connected to a GFCI and other than that I don't take any special precautions and haven't for at least the past ten years, without any problems.

Having said that my father in law covers every single connection with something, a bag, an upside down bowl, or bucket, or some other method.

His lights in the front are on a GFCI and his lights in the back are not.

What *should* be done for proper Christmas light safety and why.

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, every plug should be under a rain proof cover, or inside a weatherproof box. From a practical standpoint, NONE of the bulb sockets are rainproof. I don't know how they even get away with selling this stuff!

Now, folks have been decorating since long before GFCI was around, and I suppose there was an occasional accident, but for the most part...don't touch=don't fry! Running everything off GFCI protection should make you feel relatively safe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lights

The basic answer is if the circuits get wet a GFCI should trip. In a nonGFCI system it will depend on whether the circuit shorts out or not from the moisture.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I have 8 outside outlets that are all GFCI protected
I don't wrap anything, but I do try to make sure the connections points are up off the ground some. In some cases I have connections inside the plastic lawn decorations

The church in this pic has all the connections for the nearby display

DSCF4684.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks