Sump Pump / Drainage System Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

turnkey

Reaction score
After a few years of Puddling in my Basement I had a Contractor install the
B-Dry System
He installed it with an 18 x 22 Basin and a Flotec Model FPSC4550A pump with a Vertical Float that removes about 3 inches of water

Immediately after the install we had some heavy rains and the Pump would go off every 60 seconds like clockwork
I expressed my concerns but the Contractor blew it off
I called Flotec and they even said that that pump was wrong for that application
Well this last week we got a Months worth of rain in one day
Combined with some other previous rains my Pump was going off every 15 seconds
I called Flotec and they said that was not good who knows how long the pump will last like that
I again called the Contractor and again he blew it off telling me that it might be days or weeks running like that wth no concern on his part

My feeling and I told him this was I feel I need a larger sump basin
24 x 36 or larger and definitely a different pump
Something like a Zoeller with a Piggyback Float Switch to increase range
He disagreed ( I don't believe that he wants to be bothered )

In the meantime I bought a Flotec Floodmate 7000 which has increased my Pumping Capacity from 3in to 9in and now the pump is going off probably every Minute or so

SO again I feel that a larger basin and perhaps a Duplex Pump System will give me piece of mind

Any suggestions
Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You are correct in your thinking.
Your contractor is an @$$ and deserves the full wrath of any bad mouthing you desire to give him.

When an electric motor starts it typically uses about 150% of its full load run current rating to start up. This induces a lot of heat into the motor. Heat is a motors worst enemy! Manufacturers typically figure about 8 starts an hour maximum for the long life of a motor.

You want to get a longer run time and a longer off time or the pump will be short lived.
Smaller pump
Longer differential on the switch
Bigger sump
Are all things that can help.

Alternating pumps on a duplex system can as well.

Flotec is recognised here as not the best brand in the world...
It's a big box junk pump.
Was this "system" done by a big box contractor?

turnkey

Reaction score
The Contractor was found thru the Yellow Pages and at the time I believe he is the only one installing the B-Dry System
After looking at the the other systems offered B-Dry seemed like the best solution to my problems

I recognize Flotec's reputation, regardless of that that style pump was wrong for my situation
Here's why I bought another Flotec:
My current pump was cycling every 15 seconds for the last seven days
Now we are getting more rain, snow, sleet and my water table is not going to get better
The holidays coming up and I didn't want to wait any longer to have a Zoeller pump shipped
I went to SEARS and they had two Zoellers M53 , M98 but the Most they take out is 6 inches so that pump would still cyle probably every 30 seconds or so
I grabbed the Flotec Floodmate because it was available and it takes out 9 inces of water every cycle

Yeah I'm angry at the contractor I don't think I can trust him
I think I'll lodge a complaint with the Parent Company

Again I feel I need a LARGE Basin and more reliable pump with bigger range
Another problem is the amount of sand collecting in the basin which I've shopvac'd out a few times already

What a mess and right before the Holiday

Speedbump

Reaction score
Dittos on the Flotec.

Even if you don't have a larger basin, you may be able to adjust the float with a longer tether. This will increase the throw between high water and low water (on and off of the pump). You don't have to leave the float hooked up where the manufacturer put it (that is of coarse if it is a float type switch).

bob...

turnkey

Reaction score
* Update * Woke up this morning and the B-dry system failed

I have large puddles all over my newly installed floating floor

I am not happy

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Saying you have a "B-Dry system" really does not mean anything at all. It is just a name, another franchise-type deal. If your basement floor is below the water table you need a lot more than a sump basin and pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
There is an other thread working at this time talking about floats. The best suggestions were three floats. Two for two seperate pumps, one standard and one for back up and the third for an alarm.

Even if your not home when one pump fails, the alarm will sound and keep sounding while the second pump takes over and handles the water problem until you get back to make repairs. Basement is still dry.

bob...

turnkey

Reaction score
My Pump hasn't failed, yet

Somehow the Hydrostatic pressure was too much and the water entered thru the floor like it has in the past

SO the "Pressure Relief " system failed

It wasn't as bad as it could've been but the B-Dry Mantra is that you'll never get water again BS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks