Pressure problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have pressure problem. Last Sunday night we lost all water flow from our well :(. I was only able that night to check the electrical supply to the pump that night. no breakers were tripped. Monday morning I dug the dirt out from around the well pump cover box. The big ugly green fiberglass one.

As a note, a few months back I installed an injecter pump at the well pump and noticed that the original installer (the house is 3 years old) had scorched one of the the main power leads to the pressure switch:eek:. You can't find good help these days:mad:. Anyway, the wire that was scorched has eroded thru and broke away from the switch but not without distroying the connector screw on the switch itself. I went and bought a new 30-50 pressure switch and installed it. Removing the burnt section of wire and using connector ends on all the wires.

All was good and the wife was happy. I did notice however that the pressure in the shower seemed a little less than before. Today when I showered the pressure was even more less and during my wife's shower the pressure was completely deleted and it took 10+ minutes before pressure started to return after she was done :confused:.

Question, is the problem with the switch or could the little blue pressure tank the culprit? I'm at work now and can't check things until this afternoon. I don't remember seeing a pressure gauge at the pump anywhere. If there is no gauge on the pump or tank, how do I check the pressure switch settings?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Speedbump

Reaction score
I wouldn't think anything happened to the pump with a wire burning in half. Maybe you old switch was set higher than the new 30/50 switch. Get a gauge in line, then you will know what's going on.

bob...

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Your pressure tank is probably OK!

Your tanks is probably OK! The lower pressure may be in the pressure switch adjustment. The no water at times is most likely that the pump motor is intermittent. That's an electrical or motor problem.

I'm guessing this is an above ground jet pump? Whether it's a jet or a submersible pump, I suspect you may have a motor problem! If it's a jet pump the motor switch could be sticking in the running position or it could be a bad starting capacitor. If it's a submersible pump with a control box the problem could be a bad relay or a capacitor. If it's a 2 wire submersible pump it may have to be pulled from the well. With any of the pumps the stopping of and delay of water could be the automatic overload switch cutting off. This tells me there is an electric motor problem somewhere?
This could require the services of a qualified pump service person with an amp meter and an amprobe. Probably not a regular plumber or a general electrician.

As far as the water pressure goes, without a pressure gauge near the tank it's impossible to know or compare the the pressure. It's like looking at an electric line and knowing the voltage without a voltmeter on the line.

Once you get everything going, I suggest you look into installing a Cycle Stop Valve www.cyclestopvalves.com. This valve will give you a constant pressure in your home and you won't get a variable pressure in the faucets or shower again. You're wife will love it!

Cycle Stop Valves also has a new product on their web site called a Pside-Kick. It's a package constant pressure system minus the pump.

Fishguy

Reaction score
I can't believe it!

I got home yesterday and went to see if there was a pressure gauge on the pump. No. :( Worse yet, I looked at the pressure tank to see what it is rated at and to check the pressure and I find that the IDIOT who installed it put it upside-down! :eek: But wait, there's more! He put the tank directly on the ground! :eek: So now I have to dig out from under it to try and check the pressure. I can't believe the laziness of some people!!:mad:
I did give the pressure switch a couple of turns to raise the pressure a little and have to get a gauge and "T" fitting today.
No telling what problems I'll run into with that!

More to come,
Steve

Speedbump

Reaction score
Now I've heard it all. I have seen a lot of things, but a bladder tank installed upside down? WoW, it must have saved him a little pipe or a few fittings.

Truly amazing!

bob...

IOWASTROKER

Reaction score
Upside down?

If the bladder tank is truly upside down, there would be no reason to dig under it to install a tee to install a pressure switch....right??? I am confused:(

First: Merry Xmas!! A little bored, so Googled "square D pumptrol" and first thing that popped up was..." How to adjust square D pumptrol switch" I thought Santa still loved me...but opened it to find a thesis from Scotty talking about air leaks, tank pressure, calcium, his grandmother, on and on and on...but NO info on how to adjust the switch. I am bummed. Did I click on the wrong thread. What UP?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks