HELP needed quick

Users who are viewing this thread

vjwelch83

Reaction score
I turned of the water to the house several times throughout the day. I was putting new pipe in the bathroom. This bathroom is the furthest away from the main. I opened the garden house to drain the water from the house so i didn't have to work in wet conditions. Once I had all the new plumbing in I turned the water back on. Now I have low flow everyware. At first things spit and sputtered like usual but now they just trickle. I am pretty sure that I have air in the lines. I need help getting it out.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Air in the lines is not the issue. To get air out of the lines you just let the water flow. Check your water pressure at the outside sillcock. If your getting good pressure there, then the issue can be some rust or calcium from your pipes lodged into the aerators, or the stems/cartridges of your faucets. If that is the case clean the aerators. The other issues is if your main shut off is a gate valve you may have snapped the gate of the stem when you tried to turn the water off enough to stop any flow. In which case you need to call a plumber to turn the water off outside at the Buffalo box and replace the valve.

Last edited by a moderator:

vjwelch83

Reaction score
Nope it is not any of the gate valves. I didn't mess with any of them. All I did was turn the water off to the house at the "Buffalo Box" and replace some pipes for the shower. Then when I turned the water back on I had little pressure all over the house. The one place io have the best pressure is at the garden house. This is the first spot on the pipes. the rest of the house has little pressure.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That's the problem. All that old glavy pipe has flaked off and dislodged, clogging your pipes. Time to go to bed. HJ, redwood or seweratz can finish this one off.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before I spent thousands of dollars to replace all my pipes, I would disconnect some of the supply lines to try to determine exactly where the plug is. In other words, start flushing the lines starting at the side of the house closest to the "buffalo box." Try to isolate the plug, if there is one.

But, first, as someone suggested, I would check the aerators to see if they are all plugged up.

vjwelch83

Reaction score
Thank you all, we got. It turned out that a bunch of sediment clogged every faucet in the house. I guess all the on and off from the box dislodged the sediment and rust.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Glad you found the immediate problem. The fact that you have all of this crud in you pipes should be a warning to you that you are on borrowed time with the galvanized pipes. It would be prudent to being saving up for a re-pipe either with copper or PEX before the pipe starts really going to hell.. This will be expensive, so get a head start on it by laying aside some dollars. Your local water contents can affect the life span, but even with the best of conditions galvanized can only last so long.

theplumber

Reaction score
One real important tip for turning off the water and turning it back on again. TURN IT ON VERY SLOWLY. Let the pipes fill slowly instead of blasting the empty pipes with a sudden rush of water breaking loose all the rust and sediment in your pipes.

Also, if you have a Price Pfister tub valve, open up the cold water side and then turn on your water so all the stuff that breaks loose goes there instead of into your faucets. If you don't have a nice wide opening valve the next best thing it to open a hose bib in the back that is tied to the house pressure side and let the water go there first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks