(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can a pump protector be bypassed?

  1. #1

    Default Can a pump protector be bypassed?

    Hi,
    We are in NH and currently on day 6 with no power. Fortunately, a friend loaned us a 5500 generator. Here is our porblem .... our 1 1/2 HP well pump is wired with a pumptrol pump protector and every time the well pump tries to start the pump protector turns it right off. We have tried turning everything off except the well and it still does not work. As a result we still have no water. Is there a way to bypass the pump protector so that our pump will run?

  2. #2
    Junior Member W.O.P Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe the Generator is too small for a pump that size.

    The starting amps would be too high.

    Would be close anyways to the max
    Last edited by W.O.P Jeff; 12-17-2008 at 03:39 PM.

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member thassler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    106

    Default

    How is your generator hooked up? You are feeding 240V to the panel right? .. not just 120v? I use a 5500w generator to run my 1hp pump with Pumptec protection with few problems (every now and then the Pumptec will trip). A 5500w gen should be good to ~20amps for a 240v load.


    Not a pro ...

  4. #4

    Default more details

    Here are a few more details ... we have a Briggs and Stratton generator ... it is actually 5550 wats with surge of 8550. It is wired in through our dryer circuit as gen tran panels were sold out through out NH. The well pump is 240V. Any suggestions on getting around the pump protector?
    Last edited by Kathy C.; 12-17-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: wrote wrong thing

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy C. View Post
    Here are a few more details ... we have a Briggs and Stratton generator ... it is actually 5550 wats with surge of 8550. It is wired in through our dryer circuit as gen tran panels were sold out through out NH. The well pump is 240V. Any suggestions on getting around the pump protector?
    I HOPE you shut off your MAIN breaker, or pulled out the main meter! (even better)

    Because if you didn't do either of these, feeding a generator INTO the 220 volt dryer circuit, will backfeed power out of your house, and to the main transmission lines going to your house! It energizes the entire power panel!

    If a lineman comes around, to work on them, you will FRY them! If they suddenly turn power back on, and your generator is up and running, without disconnecting the meter or main breaker, you will have an explosion! If you don't listen to anything else I say, listen to this!!!!!

    Your generator probably doesn't have enough starting oomph to get your pump going, that's why the pump protector is blowing. Or, you have a microwave oven, and other large power suckers going at the same time. Try turning off all other breakers, except the one going to your pump, so that's the only thing on at that time. Make sure the generator is revved up high. Did you pull out your meter yet, do that first!

    They commonly lie (ok, twist the truth) on their ratings for these hardware store generator sets. It's such a 'dirty power' coming from them, that your pump doesn't like it. If it can't start your pump, then it's not truly rated high enough. If you bypass the pump protector, you are going to cause damage, and it's going to be expensive.

    Get a higher quality generator with a TRUE rating of at least 6100 (6.1KW)watts continuous. I'm talking something that normally sells for around $1,000. A $300 generator is junk, and won't last long at all. You can't normally run an entire household of stuff on a 6kw generator, you need something around 13kw to do that continuously.

  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member thassler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 'Pumptrol pump protector'. Mine is a Franklin Pumptec. Maybe one of the pros will know.

  7. #7
    DIY Senior Member thassler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Is this 'Pumptrol pump protector' simply a low pressure cut off switch?

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    With a good Honda 5kw generator, I could start and run a 2hp submersible. I couldn't start a 3hp though. It stalled the motor instantly. Like it would if you tried to feed your entire subdivision by not turning off the Main breaker when starting the generator hooked into your dryer plug.

    I too would be leary of Black and Deckers claims of wattage.

    If you have a Pumptrol something, it probably is a low pressure cut off switch. I know Square D has something out now that is electronic and that might be what you have, but I'm not familiar with it. If the generator will start the motor, remove the device that is tripping, but make sure you don't disconnect a pressure switch in doing so.

    bob...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •