Building a shower ??

Users who are viewing this thread

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I have 2 full baths & am considering removing 1 of the tubs & building a shower in its place . The question I have is , does anyone make 4x8 sheets of waterproof material that would be suitable to glue to drywall ? I was thinking of a finished product with some type of pattern , tile , brick , rock , ect . If so is inside & outside corners available ? Maybe corners with slots for the wall panels to fit in . Am thinking about purchasing the floorpan & building the rest .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any of the sheeting material (Corian, Silestone, etc.) manufacturers make sheets. Some are packaged into kits. You can make the whole thing monolithic if you wish, but building a tiled shower, especially one with some of the newer materials (Kerdi or Wedi come to mind) would also work well.

Keep in mind that your drain on a tub is likely 1.5", and a shower requires 2". Moving it to the center of your shower is the preferred location so that the slope is more even all around the shower.

If you want to consider tiled, consider checking out www.johnbridge.com.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
When you say kits I assume you mean shower kits ? Would any of these kits have ledges for soap or whatever built into the panels & do the kits come with a floorpan ? Do you know if lowes or home depot sell these kits . Besides code considerations is there any reason the drain has to be 2" ? When I shower in the tub the water goes down as fast as the shower head puts it out . I live in a very rural area & there will be no inspecters involved .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The curb on a shower is quite low, and a tub in comparison is quite deep, so if the drain is slow, or you are standing on it, in a shower, you can get into trouble quickly. Yes, there are numerous old showers around with 1.5" pipes, but the volume you can dump down that slightly larger pipe is really 1.77x bigger when you calculate the area, and that directly relates to how fast it can drain.

Check out a plumbing showroom, you should come up with some choices. I prefer a nice tiled shower, but solid surface has it's place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks