Traps

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Chuck

Reaction score
Ending a kitchen remodel and the double sink presents a question. With the disposal installed on the "downstream" side, grinding noise is pretty loud through the other bowl drain.

Is there any reason I can't put a J-bend trap (for a total of two) on the upstream side to block the grinding noises? Yes I know I can use the strainer as a plug, but it tends to vibrate.

TIA

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If you can configure two p-traps is one thing. The disposer itself still can't be muffled. There is such short distance it seems to me that there would be little difference with what you are trying to accomplish.

Mark Chuck

Reaction score
Sound Trap

The sink is 16ga stainless attached to a 9' granite top. If I plug the un-trapped strainer before hitting the switch, the grinder noise is reduced by a good 70%.

If there's no downside to a double trap, think that's how I'll go.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

There is one plumber who would tell you that double trapping is illegal, which is true, except your double trap would not qualify, so go ahead and do it. A better option might be to redo the drains so each sink has its own trap connected to the pipe coming out of the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks