mounting stone tops on custom vanties

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I have ordered stone which is cut to CAD drawings, having never done this before what is the best way to mount the stone to vanity tops. vanities are custo mmade with corner blocks at all four corners, so there is plenty of flat surface. With plenty of flat surface to flat surface is somehtign simple as liquid nails ok for bonding?

Thanks,
Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It somewhat depends on whether the slab is 2cm or 3cm thick. Some stones can be stained by some glues. In the ones I've done in my home, the fabricator said just use silicon...it cushions and hold it in place. Especially if it is a 3cm slab, gravity and the silicon will hold it in place fine. You DO need to ensure that the cabinet is shimmed so the top is level, as the stone will not like it if the surface is twisted and not level.

If it is a 2cm slab, it's not a bad idea to put some plywood inserted so you have some support. Mount it on ledger boards so it is flush with the top of the cabinet.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Jim,

Its a quartz material(CeasarStone) I dotn have the specs in front of me but I am pretty sure its 2cm and it has 4 cm edge. The size is 20" x 34".
I did a little more searching since this post and silicon was recommended too. adhesive

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd probably just glue it in place, adding ply would be for those times when the kid climbs up and decides to jump around! Probably not needed. If it were natural stone, it might be a good idea at that thickness.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Jim,

I hope my kid doesnt climb on these - their floating and hung with french cleat. I plan to reinforce with #10 screws or lag bolts into studs once its shimmed level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks