Moisture coming up through tile grout.

Users who are viewing this thread

masmia

Reaction score
I live in Miami, Florida

I have a bubble of water coming up through the tile grout in a couple of areas in my house. In addition this past weekend I removed the carpeting from a couple of bedrooms and found wet areas underneath the carpet pad in each room. The wetness/moisture areas are on opposite ends of the house (+/- 2,000 SF).

Is this just humidity penetrating through the concrete slab or do I have a plumbing problem?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Has it been raining a lot?

I would rule out a roof or other weather-related leak before I started examining the plumbing.

masmia

Reaction score
No rain lately. It has happend when it rains or when it hasn't for a couple of weeks.

Mort

Reaction score
If the house is built on a slab foundation, I think I'd be calling a plumber that specializes in leak detection. Enough water pressure to be able to push through grout sure sounds pretty serious.

Mort

masmia

Reaction score
Local plumber just left my house. After looking all over he says I don't have a leak. Could it be humidity pushing up or am I sitting on a spring?:confused:

BurleyMike

Reaction score
Do you know how deep the water table is? How old is the house? Best to remove the carpet and pad until this is resolved. Mold is nasty stuff.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best way to see if you have a "live" plumbing leak is to turn off all the faucets and spigots and see if the meter is still turning. It's also possible that you have a drain that is leaking.

Also, someone needs to inspect the caulking, windows, siding, walls, roof, etc, as well as how efficiently water drains away from the house during a rainstorm.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
check your water meter

Sounds like a slab leak to me.

.but the plumber says you dont have one..

get the water company to come out and check your water meter. to see if it is moveing

If you have some other problem, like some sort of spring
comming up through the floor,

then you got real problems....

look at your bath tub drain... the drain is usually beneath the slab and can be as much as 18 inches deep in a slab box...

see if that tub pit for the tub drain is full of water too,,..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks