leak in hot water tank after power outage

Users who are viewing this thread

Alleycat

Reaction score
Greetings from the northeast's ice storm

After 75 hours, we finally got power back this morning. As soon as the burner kicked on the hot water tank started to leak from the cap at the top of the tank.

Husband took off the cap and tightened up the screws and the leak slowed to a drip. He called a plumber who said it was not unusual to have a leak after so long without power, and it has now stopped, but I would say it was about a quart of water that leaked out before it stopped.

Does this sound normal to you?

Thanks for any input.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

I suppose by "cap" you mean the element. It is NOT common for it to happen, but if it was loose, it could have contracted when the water cooled and started to leak.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe an indirect or oil fired too.
Can you post a pic of where the water came from?

Alleycat

Reaction score
Here's a picture. Water was leaking from the base of the small disk on the top of the tank. It is oil fired.

Attachments

• DSCN3025.jpg
    DSCN3025.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,240

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if that sort of leak is "normal" but it was an easy enough fix. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, I'm thinking it might be an indirect unit.

Can you give us another picture showing the whole unit from further back?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yeah, should be a huge blower assembly at the bottom on the ones I've seen, but there was a 6" flue pipe on top. :eek:

I've only seen one in my days as a plumber, and that doesn't hurt my feelings as they are rare at best, and very very expensive to purchase.

The one I replaced was covered in oil residue.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is indeed an indirect and leaks on that particular brand are more than common. The tank will probably not last more than a couple more years if that. They were big warranty issues.

Alleycat

Reaction score
Here's more pictures. Maybe I was not describing the system correctly. We have oil heat/ hot water. The system is 4 years old. The leak came from the hot water tank (on the left in the first picture.) The third picture is the sticker on the tank. Water was dripping from the bottom of the bolts around the perimeter of the metal cap on the top of the tank (it's actually two metal disks with a gasket in between.) It was probably a quart or more of water that came out within a half hour or so of power being restored. Husband tightened the bolts and the water stopped. (And he broke one in the process but found a replacement bolt that fit.)

The cap is pretty corroded. We have well water which is somewhat hard.

Again, main question is whether it is correct that this can happen after a power outage and is nothing to be concerned about.

Thank you all for any input. It's much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN3030.jpg
    DSCN3030.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,117
  • DSCN3031.jpg
    DSCN3031.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,077
  • DSCN3034.jpg
    DSCN3034.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,082

Alleycat

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Redwood - it will need replacing because of the corrosion and that is what is causing the water to seep out? The tank is only 4 years old. :mad:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks