(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Ionics salt softener problem..

If you didn't pull out the clear plastic, you didn't do anything but spin the meter dial. That doesn't change any settings. The numbers are the settings and you shouldn't change them. The regeneration resets the meter.

You didn't fool with the pin settings right?

Did you clean the injector etc. etc.?

Use it this way for 2-3 days and see how the water is. And get raw water tests for hardness and iron.

If you have a digital camera, a clear close up picture of the timer and then the left side of the control valve from like a 45* angle down at it would help.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    If you didn't pull out the clear plastic, you didn't do anything but spin the meter dial. That doesn't change any settings. The numbers are the settings and you shouldn't change them. The regeneration resets the meter.

You didn't fool with the pin settings right?

Did you clean the injector etc. etc.?

Use it this way for 2-3 days and see how the water is. And get raw water tests for hardness and iron.

If you have a digital camera, a clear close up picture of the timer and then the left side of the control valve from like a 45* angle down at it would help.

No, I haven't changed any pins, and don't really plan to. That parts been working for years as you said, so I see no reason to change it. I haven't cleaned the injector yet, as I wanted to make sure the brine tank overflow issue was fixed first (it is, at least the safety valve part of it). Plus, this thing is shoved TIGHT into a little wedge-shaped closet in a modular home, and a tear down isn't going to be easy. It hasn't regenerated on it's own since I ran the 2 manual regens back to back. I'm sure we haven't used enough water since then to make a regen happen, unless one kicks off tonight.

I'm going to get the water tested, and just see how it works as it is now, with what I've already done.

Thanks for your help so far!
    Last edited by mengel; 12-18-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Test both the raw and softened waters.

If you can stand in front of the unit, you can work on it to clean the stuff but, if it draws the brine out of the tank down to the air check on the brine pickup tube, you don't need to clean anything. The air check is a line on teh side of teh cage on the bottom of the brine pickup tube. There should be 2" to 4' of water left in the tank at the end of the brine draw cycle. And then the unit puts water into the tank, so you'd have to watch a regeneration to catch the minimum water level at just the right time.

You can mix a 1/2 cup of Iron Out or Super Iron Out from the cleaning section of the grocery store or most hardware stores, in a gallon of warmish water and pour it down into the water in the brine tank, not through the salt, then do a manual regeneration. Since it is sucking brine, that will clean those parts I mentioned so you don't have to do it manually.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.