(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sand!!!

Hybrid View

Default Sand!!!

Been here before and have read alot of posts that have been helpful. About a month ago I had a post about filtering my water... Just a little recap...1600 ft free flow well (in MS delta) 220 gal tank (supposedly used to "filter" sand out) pumpand in-line cartridge filter.

It was suggested to me that removing my 220 gal tank would help to solve my "then mentioned" problems. I did, it didn't. What I am noticing is that I have a sandy build up occuring. Dishwasher- on top of cups, commodes- forms around the bowl and that pesky in line filter casing has build up in the bottom. The tank is been put back in place but I still have the same sandy problem. I opened the 2" drain on the tank this evening and when the tank was almost empty the water was just about pure sand. However, the water is clear to the eye coming straight from the well.

I think that it is too fine to see from the well head but accumulates rapidly to cause my problem. I did not install this well or any components, just bought the house and now have to deal with the well....

What are my options? Thanks guys, I appreciate all your advice.

-Hosky

Previous member

You were told that the 220 gallon tank wouldn't help remove sand. Even though it will take out some for a short time, the problem still exists.

Your well produces sand. It will eventually eat the impeller and diffuser out of the pump. If you don't mind fixing the pump occassionly, install a sand filter. I think Gary and I both told you that we sell them and they work. If you want to keep using the inline so called "whole house filter" and keep buying cartridges, then that's you other option.

bob...

The inline filter is not filtering the sand, I don't care if it is there or not. It was already there and I am not replacing the filters. They are not clogging up.

What is the option besides a sand filter?

Previous member

Are you saying you have an inline filter that is not clogging up and it's not filtering the sand? Is it not plummed into the pipe feeding the house from the pump?

bob...

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I know that most of the people on this site don't agree with the "whole house" filter idea, and I understand that. It doesn't matter to me if I have it or not. Its not like it is doing anything anyway!

Can I come from the well into a "sand filter" and then to the pump then house? Will I need a resevoir tank? Seems like it would make sense to filter the sand as soon as it comes out of the well to keep from ruining the pump impeller and such. What do you recommend as the right layout?

How much would a good sand filter cost me? Ballpark?

-Hosky

Previous member

You want to put it in place of the 220 gallon tank right? I would never recommend that to anyone except you since you already have a tank in front of your pump and it seems to work. The biggest thing would be getting all the air out of the sand filter before that pump could catch a prime. Once primed, I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's certainly not the approved method, but it should save your pump.

My sand filter runs around $275.00. You would have to pick up a bag of sand locally since the shipping would be horendous to send a 40 pound bag protected well enough so it wouldn't have all leaked out before arriving at your house.

bob...