Identify tub faucet valve

Users who are viewing this thread

zazzarino

Reaction score
My tub faucet leaks and needs replacing. Can someone identify the stem shown in the attached photo? I'll probably call a plumber to do the work, but I'm interested in knowing the answer. The tub has hot - diverter - cold handles, at least 23 years old.

Thanks.

Attachments

• stem.jpg
    stem.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,890

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you do decide instead to replace the valve, you must bring it up to current anti-scald requirements and there are few, if any, 3-handle systems without doing special things in the wall with the plumbing. They do make special trim plates to cover a bigger hole.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Crane also used a trim ring like that. A picture of the actual handle, orthe entire stem, might help more, since flanges tend to be somewhat generic, and that portion of the stem tells us nothing about it.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If water is leaking via the spout, follow these instructions:

1. Determine whether it is hot or cold water that is leaking.
2. turn off the water to the faucet.
3. unscrew the trim flange and sleeve
4. unscrew the valve stem using plumbing sockets (see pic)
5. replace the bibb washer (the washer on the bottom of the valve stem)

If water is leaking from the packing nut, simply tighten the packing nut with the appropriate socket.

Attachments

• Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Shower Valve Stem - Packing Nut.JPG
    Shower Valve Stem - Packing Nut.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,345
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks