American Standard Cadet 3- 14"

Users who are viewing this thread

Sharon C.

Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or are they showing this toilet sitting far from the wall?

Isn't that odd, and aren't round fronts supposed to be shorter than elongated? They say it's 30 1/4 long, but that is longer than any elongated I have seen so far.

Any experience with this toilet?
Cadet III

Thanks-

Sharon

Last edited by a moderator:

Probedude

Reaction score
that gap looks large but the dimensions show it to be just an inch (25mm) for the tank's top rear edge.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just use the search function in the blue bar..you'll find lots of comments on the Cadet, many of them not too good. Apparently an okay design with lousy execution...sometimes you get a good one, sometimes not. Many manufacturers make 14" rough-in toilets by just installing a different tank (i.e., thicker for 14"), so that would just add total length. It can get really expensive to make the complicated mold for the bowl in so many different configurations...tanks are much easier. Some do it differently - look at www.totousa.com and search on Unifit, or look at the spec sheet for say the Carlyle toilet. This one, and some others they make, uses an adapter that lets the same toilet sit on either a 10, 12(stock), or 14" rough-in. It comes with the 12" adapter, if you need 10, or 14", you replace the stock one with the new one...the toilet is identical, and always sits the same distance from the wall - it is always the same depth unlike those that just make the tank thicker or thinner.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Am. Std. has moved their production to south of the border. While productoin costs decreased quality did as well. It's hit and miss which is why I don't install them. I need to do my work right the first time or, I start losing money.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most manufacturers use a 12" bowl for the 14" rough, and a thicker tank.

The only manufacturer that moves the bowl back, is made by Toto.
The models that do this are elongated, however with the 14" Unift, it winds up 28.75" from the back wall.

That is quite a bit shorter than a Cadet 14" Round at 30-1/4"

A round bowl 12" Toto Drake would be 29-1/2" at 14"

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Here we go again. Don't get me started.

It's a great toilet that I have had (the 12") for at least two years now.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You just got lucky... Face it!
Plus is there any part on that cadet 3 of yours that you haven't changed yet?

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
Agree with Ian

Even though Ian was not around to back me up the last time I posted on this subject, he is right. :D The Cadet 3 is a great choice. To give credit to the nay sayers, just check the finish on both the bowl and tank before you take it out of the store. The design is fantastic. I don't think you will find any posts criticizing the flush on this model.

To throw sand in the naysayers' eyes, I wanted a 17" high seat, elongated bowl and the Everclean finish (Sanigloss on the Toto). Guess what; not available on the Toto Drake, which is their mere-mortal priced model. You can get two of the threre options, but not all three. I installed the Cadet 3. No finish issues. No leaks. Nothing ever left in the bowl after a flush, zip nada. The four knothead teenagers have never clogged it. It stays cleaner longer (a lot longer due to the Everclean).

Oh and last but not least; under two hundred out the door. :eek: Ian may have suped his up a bit with aftermarket enhancements, but it works great right out of the box.

One of the questions was,
Is it my imagination, or are they showing this toilet sitting far from the wall?

Isn't that odd, and aren't round fronts supposed to be shorter than elongated? They say it's 30 1/4 long, but that is longer than any elongated I have seen so far.
She was wondering why the Cadet 14" was so long. It is long.
We were pointing out that if she wanted shorter, the best option would be a Toto with 14" Unifit, which brings it back to 28-3/4" and you get to have the elongated bowl.
If you don't mind 30-1/4" for a round bowl, then why not?

Achutch

Reaction score
I too agree with Ian

I agree with you, sixlashes and with Ian. My Cadet 3 "Right Height" model has been in place since March, and it is getting more use than my Toto Drake is (due to the fact that the Drake doubles as one of the cat's favorite bed, and is occupied for much of the time).

My Cadet 3 has not failed once, despite the workout that I give it.

My father has a Right Height model like mine (since January this year), and my next door neighbor, the round bowl Cadet 3 (since December 2007). Both are extremely pleased with them, report no problems with them, and can't believe how a toilet can flush so well with so little water. My father is also tickled that his water bill has dropped to minimum.

My gym, which opened in February, has two Cadet 3 toilets in the men's locker room, and I would guess the same in the women's and special needs locker rooms. They are doing quite well under heavy use in a business that runs 24 hours a day.

In my case, the Cadet 3 cost me $185. My Drake cost me well over $500 back in 2005. At the time I gave the half bath it's "face lift" money was the deciding factor as I had other things planned than just replacing the toilet (paint, towel / tissue holders, artwork). For me the Cadet 3 was a sound choice.

achutch

Attachments

• 8-American Standard Cadet 3 toilet and new paper holder.jpg
    8-American Standard Cadet 3 toilet and new paper holder.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 471

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
Okay Terry, you got me

I was responding to the last part of Sharon's post. Okay, I zeroed in on the "experience with" and whiffed the suitability part of her question.

I (begrudgingly) agree that the Toto is more suitable for a 14" rough in. The unifit system is well engineered and works well with non-standard (10" & 14") rough in installations. There. :p

I was just defending my throne and got carried away. I know you operational guys love the Totos and smack down the Cadet 3's; I have to get in my props for the Cadet when I can :D

Truth be told, I was a little disappointed I could not get the Drake in the configuration I wanted (see my last post). The Drake was what I went looking for at the supply house. However; I am extremely pleased with the Cadet. When I find something that actually works I want to let others know.

Sharon C.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My husband is liking the Carrollton because it sort of goes with the vanity top we picked. I was hoping for a one piece toilet but it doesn't look like that is available for a 14". I do like that the toilet will come out less than the Cadet (28 3/4).

I do get nervous reading about gurgling and noises and I have read some reviews where not everyone was thrilled, but I read plenty of reviews on the Cadet where people were not thrilled also. Our much older toilet only came out 26", but I don't think we will find anything like that these days.

My husband's brother is a licensed plumber and he will be installing it, but he has never been asked to install a Toto before so it'll be his first one. I hope that because of the difference in design with the Unifit adapter that it won't be more prone to leaks.

Oh wait- the Carlyle is one piece. But my husband is hung up on Carrollton.

Thanks.

abak_carrollton.jpg

CST774S TOTO Carrollton

Sharon C.

Reaction score
P.S. Why Are so many posts edited? What can people possibly be saying about toilets that needs to be deleted or changed?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes I add pictures or links.
Sometimes I remove advertising for competing companies.

I don't give out free advertising.
Sometimes it's spell checking,
Sometimes it's repetitive
or sometimes its an angry rant.

That's kind of like life sometimes, right?

The Unifit takes maybe 10 minutes longer.
A lot of homeowners are installing them,
The biggest issue for a plumber would be reading the instructions.
Homeowners have an easier time reading them.

Funny huh?

flange_03.jpg

This is a Unift for some models of Toto.
It' gets mounted to the floor first with wax, and then the bowl drops down into it.
It's not rocket science, but the 14" does allow you to pull the bowl closer to the wall by 2".

CST774S.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I spell okay but my fat fingers don't cooperate with my mind.
So I edit frequently.:D

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hardest part of the unifit adapter is if you have a tile floor, you need to drill holes in it to mount the rear end of it. If you don't have the right drill bit, it can be quite frustrating. Also, at least on the ones I've used, the plastic inserts they give you seem overly tight...I chose to use some others that I had around. A slightly larger hole may be called for. Now, they may have tweaked this in the intervening years. It may be an issue of metric verses fractional conversions...on a wood floor, it's close enough, but not in a hard tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks