(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumping into Pressurized Water System?

I used to live in an area where a lot of people had those outside wood burning boilers . They are expensive to buy & require either an air handler with a coil in it & ductwork or radiant heaters of some sort to put heat in the house . They will provide domestic hot water while they heat your house though . They also burn lots more wood & make lots more smoke than an inside wood burning stove .

If the poster wants to burn wood and make hot water that is his best option.

I wuz jus thinkin ya awl might jes be able ta uz somsthin like this set up...

Hillbilly Eng-in-ear
    Moonshine Maker
    Dumb as a Stump

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Man View Post
    I wuz jus thinkin ya awl might jes be able ta uz somsthin like this set up...

How do I hook that up to my kitchen sink?
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

The real question is why you would want corn licker comin outa yur kitchen sink faucet...

I thought this wuz about the missus wantin something to wash er face with...
    My corn licker is good fer the complexshin.
    Hillbilly Eng-in-ear
    Moonshine Maker
    Dumb as a Stump

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Man View Post
    The real question is why you would want corn licker comin outa yur kitchen sink faucet...

I thought this wuz about the missus wantin something to wash er face with...
    My corn licker is good fer the complexshin.

In that case, how do I hook it up to the bathroom sink?

It seems that some valves in the system accompanied by a drain-off tank would allow me to dump hot water into my pressurized system. A quick turn of a valve (or two) would reintroduce the hwt into the pressurized system. To avoid sanitation concerns with an open system I could go to a closed system and monitor the temp. of the stove mounted tanks to avoid boiling. Why not?
    Last edited by molo; 12-11-2008 at 11:03 PM.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Your closed system would require not just careful monitoring but many automatic controls and safety devices to regulate the temperature and pressure of the system.

Devices like Hillbilly Man's still periodically have been known to explode. As have water heaters with malfunctioning controls and safety devices.

Watch this video link. Bear in mind this is only a 12 gallon water heater.
    Water heater explosion video click here

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Your closed system would require not just careful monitoring but many automatic controls and safety devices to regulate the temperature and pressure of the system.

Devices like Hillbilly Man's still periodically have been known to explode. As have water heaters with malfunctioning controls and safety devices.

Watch this video link. Bear in mind this is only a 12 gallon water heater.
    Water heater explosion video click here

Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by molo View Post
    With the closed system on a circ. pump I'm wondering how you keep it from getting too hot? For example, how do you keep your hot water tank from being full of water that is hotter than the standard 110-115 degrees? I have little ones and can't take the chance of any scalding. Regarding the pressure relief valves they would absolutely be neccesary. I would still be super nervous about a blow-out because I've seen pics of systems that got too hot, and the exploded pipes. I even remember the pic that Master Plumber Mark posted of an exploded gas hot water tank.

This was covered awhile ago.
    Gore Vidal.

Quote Originally Posted by molo View Post
    I could go to a closed system and monitor the temp. of the stove mounted tanks to avoid boiling. Why not?
    How Do you plan on monitoring this and what controls would you have?

Default tank

There is such voluminous material already that it would be senseless to read it. But unless this has been mentioned already, you have to consider it. An open tank is considered secondary water, as far as you main supply is concerned, and you CANNOT introduce it into your potable water supply, period.