Bathtub not Centered

Users who are viewing this thread

ccorneil

Reaction score
I had a bathtub installed yesterday and realized after the plumber left that it wasn't centered properly. The bathtub sits in an alcove and it is a little wider than the previous tub was. The way it sits now there isn't much room next to the wall. Is there anything I can do? I haven't paid the plumber for the work he did yet. :confused:

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a written contract with the plumber that details how the installation was to be? If so, you can require that the job be redone according to specs. If you do not have a written agreement, then it's a crapshoot.

ccorneil

Reaction score
I do have a written contract, but it doesn't go into detail. It just says install bathtub and fixtures. Do I have any hope?

ccorneil

Reaction score
Terry,

Good idea......I will post a photo of the tub when I get home today so that it is more clear.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

We have no idea what you mean by "centered" especially when you say the new tub is wider than the old one. Is this a deck mounted tub with space between it and the walls on three sides?

ccorneil

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the tub. I will post more if it helps to explain how it has been installed.

Attachments

• tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 788

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
So, is it that the filler is not centered on the end of the tub? Was that piping replaced by the same plumber, or was it there from the old one? It will work fine, if you paid him to install the tub (drain, overflow), but not a new valve he left it where it was (from apparantly a narrower tub). So, you still haven't described what the problem is and it's not evident from the picture.

ccorneil

Reaction score
He replaced the pipes and the valve. Attached is another photo. I am sure that it is installed properly. The problem is whether or not it will look off center when it is finished.

Attachments

• Bathtub.jpg
    Bathtub.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4,882

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Normally the shower head, valve and tub spout should line up with the tub drain not the over flow unless the drain is off set...

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The tub filler spout pipe should be centered on the tub drain. If it's not then the plumber needs to come back out and move it. It will still work but look like crap.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I noticed that your CI tub does not have a tile lip, correct, and it does appear that you have a shower head involved in this tub, right?

Some companies have tiling flanges that 'clip on' so as to 'prevent' water from leaking over the shoulders. Not always the best solution.

Make very, very sure that this issue is addressed by whoever is doing the work.

HE

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I noticed that your CI tub does not have a tile lip, correct, and it does appear that you have a shower head involved in this tub, right?

Some companies have tiling flanges that 'clip on' so as to 'prevent' water from leaking over the shoulders. Not always the best solution.

Make very, very sure that this issue is addressed by whoever is doing the work.

HE

Looks like a potential leaker to me!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

That tub, the way it is now configured, is not designed for that installation. Without a tile flange around the perimeter it WILL leak when the shower is used. And once the tile is installed it will not be fixable without tearing the wall apart. IF the valve is not centered on the drain it will be noticeable if anybody is concerned enough to look at it. And usually the tile flange has to be installed before the tub in inserted into the alcove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks