Kitchen Counter Sink Hole Standards

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Is there is standard hole size and distance between holes for kitchen 3 hole configurations?

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most kitchen faucets are 8-inch outside center to center. I.e., three holes, 4-inch on center.

Are you drilling your own countertops or just shopping for a faucet?

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Most kitchen faucets are 8-inch outside center to center. I.e., three holes, 4-inch on center.

Are you drilling your own countertops or just shopping for a faucet?

We'll have granite installed Friday and the installer will drill the holes onsite. I purchased a 3 hole faucet config and was just wondering about the holes to be drilled. Actually I will have one more hole for the filtered water faucet. By what I've seen the 3 holes for the faucet (faucet, soap and lever handle) are drilled 1 3/8" each, 4-inch on center and the filtered water faucet can be placed where I want it?

Last edited:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
1-3/8" is the hole size. I'm no countertop installer or plumber, but I would assume that there is a setback from the sink lip as well. I can't tell you that one off the top of my head, but one of the regulars or pros should be along with an answer before the actual installation.

Just a heads up, you may also receive well intentioned advice regarding radon and natural stone countertops. If this is not a discussion you wish to engage in, you may want to simply say so to avoid thread drift.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
As sjsmithjr said, kitchen sinks are either 8" configs, or single hole configs. You seem to have alot of going on there, so the 8" would probably be best; it will give you the most flexibility in the future, as well as give you good spacing between the different fixtures. Basically the faucet you bought is going to determine hole requirements, so just look at the instructions and see what it calls for, then just add another hole with the same spacing for your filtered faucet. If your countertop isntaller knows what they are doing, they should already knows this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I used a one-hole faucet on the back right side, a small filtered water hole directly centered in the back, and a soap dispenser on the other back left side of the D-shaped sink - all of the fixtures are around the back side of the curved section. The faucet is high mount, and it makes it easy to swing is to the side and fill a pot sitting on the counter (rather than in the sink, which might be full of other things!). It's worked out great. Maybe a little unconventional, but by having it on the side, you don't have to reach over the sink to turn on the water so it makes it a little easier for shorter people...

Jerome8283

Reaction score
FWIW, I used a one-hole faucet on the back right side, a small filtered water hole directly centered in the back, and a soap dispenser on the other back left side of the D-shaped sink - all of the fixtures are around the back side of the curved section. The faucet is high mount, and it makes it easy to swing is to the side and fill a pot sitting on the counter (rather than in the sink, which might be full of other things!). It's worked out great. Maybe a little unconventional, but by having it on the side, you don't have to reach over the sink to turn on the water so it makes it a little easier for shorter people...

Yeah, I was thinking about the off to the side mount as well. I guess I've just been so use to the center mount it’s hard to change but I certainly understand your decision.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

You appear to be going old fashioned. Very FEW granite sinks are installed with a "3 hole" faucet these days. The standard is almost always a single hole faucet, usually with a pull-out spout/spray.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
You appear to be going old fashioned. Very FEW granite sinks are installed with a "3 hole" faucet these days. The standard is almost always a single hole faucet, usually with a pull-out spout/spray.

It is a single hole faucet with pull-out spout/spray but requires 2 additional holes for the soap dispenser and lever handle.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
holes

In that case you can put the holes anywhere you want them. The standard 4"-4" spacing is to accomodate faucets the require two or three holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks