Difficult faucet requirement

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
I have a client who wants to replace a couple of lav faucets. The sinks are porcelain 4" 3-hole and they want single-lever faucets (with base plates). So far so good.

We got some faucets and went there just to realize that the middle of the 3 holes is only 7/8" and the faucets require about 1-1/8" minimum for install. The side holes are 1-1/8". So we need one of the following:

1. A nice modern-looking single-hole faucet that will install in a 7/8" hole, or

2. A tool that will bore out a hole in a porcelain sink, like a 1-1/4" diamond hole saw with a 7/8" pilot, if there is such a thing, or

3. If anyone makes a modern faucet that uses the 4" side holes, one for the spout and one for the control, like this one (but for a sink, not wall) http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/us_en/26330_31353739325F32375F3436393131.htm
or

4. Any other ideas?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
sounds pretty standard...look over the many different models from delta or moen online and double check the specs of the 4" lav faucets.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Sanjeev, not sure what you think is "pretty standard". My plumbing supply house doesn't think so. If you know of a one-hole faucet that mounts in a 7/8" hole, please let me know.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Perhaps I was misunderstanding you, but since you said you wanted a single lever faucet, but were willing to use a baseplate since you had to cover the other two holes anyways, why not consider something basic like a MOEN VILLATA faucet.

I know it's not as sleek as a true one hole faucet, but it will do the trick in your situation since faucets like these only require the two outer holes be 1" and they don't even use the center hole.

Delta makes a number of single lever faucets, including one who met the requirements of the link you posted.

Bottom line, is that you will have a tough, if not impossible time finding a true one hole faucet that is going to fit in your 7/8" center hole, and boring out the hole is too risky.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Ah, I see the misunderstanding. They are throwing out old Deltas very similar to the Moen Villeta. They want a nicer look. They had hoped for one of the Grohe faucets. That look is generally a one-hole faucet. Although they are somewhat flexible, if I can show them a nice contemporary look.

Is there a nice looking version of this?
http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/550.html

I seem to remember someone made one where one side is a minimalist spout and the other side a minimalist joystick. Anybody know the one I'm talking about?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If you look on the delta site, they make a number of nice looking 1-hole lav faucets that can use a base trim plate. The faucets should use the new flex supplies, so perhaps you might be able to fine one that will squeeze into the smaller diameter center hole, but you would have to contact them directly to ask for a proper diameter measurement, or find and measure the faucet yourself.

But the easiest thing to do, since the customer is willing to put in nicer faucets, is to spend a little more and just replace the sink with a 1-hole model.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

A "minimalist" faucet that had a control lever and separate spout, to me, is not attractive since neither the spout nor the handle are centered on the sink and the popup knob is in the center hole. Grainger and many other companies have diamond hole saws to enlarge the opening, but normally the opening also has to be large enough to accomodate the pop-up's lift rod.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Well, I've asked my stone fabricator and he's not willing to drill out the center holes. Says too risky with the side holes so close. So I don't think we'll try.

Replacing the sinks is not an option. These are American Standard sinks in a color no longer available and they match the toilet and tub.

Jeez, this started out as a simple job :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not a big deal Just use a lift and turn drain on the lav sink.
Don't use the lift rod.
Does your sink have an overflow?

PS tell the stone cutter we said he's a wuss! LOL

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Agreed. We can use a faucet with no pop-up. Yes they have overflows.

Still waiting, but my supply house can't come up with any faucet that will mount in a 7/8" hole even without pop-up.

faucetman886

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Here is the Grohe technical support line number 1-800-44GROHE and see if their tech guys have any suggestions for you.Its worth a try.
Hope it helps

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

A 7/8" hole would be just adequate for a single bibb with a 1/2" ips shank. There is no way anyone could, or would, produce a faucet with a hot and cold supply that would fit through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks