Unremovable bathtub handles

Users who are viewing this thread

madameanglaise

Reaction score
My bathtub handles appear to be unremovable. It seems that the last house owner glued them on with something. I am not sure what I can use to remove them. I had the bathtub itself refinished and have to be carefull that I don't damage the surface with harsh chemicals. Does anyone have a sugesstion to how I can remove them. they are this shape L and sit flush against a small round back plate.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A picture would help. Often, if you remove the screw, then a handle puller will do the trick. Glue? Who knows. But if they are just stuck with mineral deposits, try spraying with vinegar, and repeat several times over a day.

madameanglaise

Reaction score
Unfortunately there are no screws. I don't believe it's mineral deposits because all the bathroom fixtures were redone shortly before I moved in but I will see about a handle puller. Thanks

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A handle puller requires that there be a screw hole. It needs something to push down against that is NOT the handle in order for the handle to be pulled off. There is most likely a "button" that needs to be pried off to allow you to see the screws. Once you remove the screws, a handle puller can then remove the handles.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Use a torch and S L O W L Y heat the handle till you can remove it with a leather glove...

I use 2 small pieces of teflon tape on the spline when replacing the handles so future removal will be a breeze...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handles

DO NOTHING until you post some pictures or you may wind up having to replace the entire valve. Or call a plumber to fix the valve before you do irreparable damage.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
DO NOTHING until you post some pictures or you may wind up having to replace the entire valve. Or call a plumber to fix the valve before you do irreparable damage.

I would heed this advice!:eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks