Advice on basement toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

Snowmanv2.0

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm renovating the downstairs bathroom. Used to have a shower, sink and toilet. Now the toilet will be rotated 90 degrees from it's original position and moved slightly for more elbow room to turn pages while sitting on the "throne".

I opened the floor to see what plumbing nightmares might be lurking beneath the concrete, but was pleasantly surprised to see that everything seems like it should. I'm going to cut the existing 3" pipe laying horizontally and put new pipe in.

Questions...
1. Should I attach everthing including flange right away to where I think the finished floor height will be or leave only pipe sticking out and attach later?

2. Should I attach flange to sub floor, or over top of flooring material which will be either cork or tile.

I want to do this the right way, and take my time to do it right the first time.

A picture of how it is now with the floor open is below..... the next picture is what I'm unsure of... how/when to attach the flange and to what (sub-foor, finished floor or flush with finished floor?) Thanks for your help!!

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Leave a space around the pipe and install the flange on top of the tile/cork. Why are you eliminating the sink and shower. Most users would insist on a sink, at least, when there is a toilet in the room.

Snowmanv2.0

Reaction score
Clarification on Sink

Thanks hj,

I wasn't clear about what was being kept. There will be a new sink and toilet, but no shower. We have a fairly small basement and want as much liveable area as possible. Also, the run for the vent would be quite long and we want to keep moisture problems to an absolute minimum.

thanks for your input!!
Ben

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks