Building a hair salon

Users who are viewing this thread

mhaines

Reaction score
I need some advice, I'm an average DIYer, but this has me puzzled. I installed 3 sinks in a salon last week. I had a licensed plumber install the drains, feed lines and vents. When I installed the sinks they did not line up with the drains in the walls and the drains were lower than the exit from the p-trap. So from the exit of the p-trap I installed a 45 on an angle twords the drain and then another 45 at the drain and ran a piece of pvc pipe between the two... This seemed to me to be the easiest thing to make the drain and the p-trap come together.

Yesterday the plumbing inspector showed up and said that this was "very, very bad", making the owner of the salon panic... what did I do wrong? He is saying that the drain is going up? I should have taken pictures when I was there today, and I will before I start over on Sunday.:confused:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The trap arm needs to head directly to the T in the wall...If the sinks pop up tail piece is to high use a tail piece extension to reach the trap then go directly to the wall with a little pitch...

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I need some advice, I'm an average DIYer, but this has me puzzled. I installed 3 sinks in a salon last week. I had a licensed plumber install the drains, feed lines and vents. When I installed the sinks they did not line up with the drains in the walls and the drains were lower than the exit from the p-trap. So from the exit of the p-trap I installed a 45 on an angle twords the drain and then another 45 at the drain and ran a piece of pvc pipe between the two... This seemed to me to be the easiest thing to make the drain and the p-trap come together.

Yesterday the plumbing inspector showed up and said that this was "very, very bad", making the owner of the salon panic... what did I do wrong? He is saying that the drain is going up? I should have taken pictures when I was there today, and I will before I start over on Sunday.:confused:

Absent pictures, can you post a drawing or something? Having a hard time picturing what you did.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the drain was too high, you'd have a real problem, but since the drain is lower than the P trap, all you need is the extension that Cass spoke of. In theory you need a slope of 1/2" per foot on a drain, but for the short distance from the P trap to the drain, you don't have to get too finite about that, just don't go up to the drain nor make it too steep of a pitch which is what you have now.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you did the opposite of what most do when plumbing a p-trap that isn't at the right height.

The exit from the p-trap should go straight into the wall (meaning a lower height than you have now on the p-trap), then you will have a gap or shortage coming from the tailpiece on the sink that won't reach the top of the p-trap. Like Cass said then you just extend the vertical tail-piece down with a tail-piece extension.

I'm just a DIY'er, not a pro. Pics would help just incase we're not getting something specific to your installation

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hair washing sinks can be quite deep. It sounds to me like you went from the p-trap and angled up to get to the connection in the wall. Well, if so, that is a major pain...the connection in the wall needs to be lowered. As said, you can't go UP from the outlet of the p-trap.

Unless you can shorten the tailpiece of the sink to raise the p-trap location, the only way to fix this is to get the plumber to lower the connection in the wall.

A picture would really help...

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
You shouldn't do plumbing.

It sounds to me you need an extension tail piece. Next, under no circumstance should the owner of a comercial business do any type of plumbing other than a basic faucet repair. I can also assume that the plumbing contractor pulled permits for the job. He should of completed the job from start to finish. You may have to pay some extra money out of pocket. I hope you learn from this experience.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
When we did a grease trap replacement I recall when I was doing some studying that a hair salon/barbershop needs a sediment trap or something along those lines...¿

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

What is a DIYer doing plumbing in a commercial establishment. In most cases even the proprietor cannot do it himself unless he owns the building, and then HE has to do the work he cannot hire someone else. You need hair traps on the shampoo sinks, not P traps.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You upward turn created an unvented s-trap.
As HJ stated you also need hair traps installed, and being unlicensed you have no business plumbing in a commercial establishment. The hair salon owner needs to get the original plumber back to complete the job!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks