Owens/Corning 46" x 34" Shower Base

Users who are viewing this thread

cgcarleton

Reaction score
Please help. Crack in my fiberglas shower base that is 46" wide. Can not seem to find anywhere that carries the same size. Owens/Corning seems not to make them anymore. Any ideas? Anyone ever seen a company that makes a 46" wide base?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are the walls tiled? Are you going to replace the entire shower or just try to replace the pan (often difficult on its own)? Is the drain centered on this?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
base

Is that the dimension between the stud frame walls or the tile? I don't know of any company that ever made a 46" overall width shower base since it would not be a common module for most builders.

cgcarleton

Reaction score
More information

Are the walls tiled? Are you going to replace the entire shower or just try to replace the pan (often difficult on its own)? Is the drain centered on this?

------------

The walls aren't tiled - they are also owens fiberglas walls. I'm trying to replace the entire deal - it's about 20 years old. The drain is centered on the pan.

I have already taken out the walls - just can't seem to get the base off off the drain pipe (no release as I can see).

I've heard I may need to get it special ordered - it's exactly 46" from stud to stud

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I was about to ask if you were measuring from finished walls, but you say it is 46" stud to stud. That is unusual . Stock units are 48" . If no one makes a 46 then a tile pan will be a lot cheaper that a custom made one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check out www.schluter.com and look at their Kerdi shower system...you build the walls out of normal drywall, do your preslope on the base, put up the waterproof membrane, and apply tile. A very neat system. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on that, too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

No manufacturer would set up production for a single unit. If you do not tile the shower, then a cultured marble base and walls may be your best option.

cgcarleton

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

I was thinking it had to be a tile deal - I live in a condo complex whereas these are in all the units. I'll check out the site.

Any ideas on getting the drain pipe off of the base? It seems stuck with no cross or attached device. When the base is pulled straight up, it takes the drain (black) pipe with it.

Thanks again,

I'll keep you updated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Drain pipe may well be glued into the drain fitting. You have to sawzall aroung the drain, take out the pan, then deal with the drain.

tomsbrew

Reaction score
iI ALSO HAVE ONE OF THESE MADE BY OC AND NEED TO REPLACE IT....

Can anyone help find a replacement for it....

tb

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks