(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Win98se startup problem

Hybrid View

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Unhappy Win98se startup problem

Can anyone here help me fix a Win98se startup problem?

I keep my OS “lean and clean”, and everything was quite fine until just a few weeks ago when I replaced my dialup with DSL and ended up deleting my user000.pwl file because the OS would not accept my previously-set user password for either automatic or manual network login. Since then, my OS commonly (but not always) locks up just a second or so after the automatic login appears to have completed. Sometimes the system will then come all the way up after an Alt-Ctrl-Del restart, but sometimes it takes several restarts before it continues past login. I have tried booting with the DSL modem off and with it on, and that does not seem to consistently make any real difference.

Does anyone here know what might be (or likely is) wrong?

Thank you!

Default update

Well, my startup problem somehow went away at about the same time I had finished installing Win2k on a newer and faster computer about a week ago ... but then I really blew it earlier this evening while trying to remove and reinstall my printer driver ... so now I have to start all over again ...

Things sure were much simpler in my Commodore days!

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

I have a Commodore 64 flight Sim system brand new in the box I picked up at a goodwill for 20 bucks. The comp , floppys, and software are still in the original factery sealed wrap. Only thing that is missing is the two joy sticks. Guess they bought it just for the joy sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    I have a Commodore 64 flight Sim system brand new in the box I picked up at a goodwill for 20 bucks. The comp , floppys, and software are still in the original factery sealed wrap. Only thing that is missing is the two joy sticks. Guess they bought it just for the joy sticks.
    **** that sucker,It will pay for your retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    I have a Commodore 64 flight Sim system brand new in the box I picked up at a goodwill for 20 bucks ...
    Yeah! I had the same, and with a proportional joystick with all the bells and whistles the RCers have. I got a little too close and crashed into the Statue of Liberty and the WTC a time or two ... but nobody ever got hurt, of course!

I have been looking for a commodore 64 for my son for quite a long time, it was the first computer I ever bought him, and I don't know what happened to it, after we bought one we could get the net on. I don't know what they go for these days, but, if anyone ever wants to sell one, please message me, I would love to make my son happy.

Thank you, Cookie

Oh, if I had only known that a few weeks ago! I just sold all of mine and you could have had a couple just by paying the shipping.

Take a look here:

http://www.oldsoftware.com/