Which Zoeller Sump Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

rdgallo

Reaction score
Two months ago, I purchased a new home (4 years old). It has a sump pump in it with a Zoeller 12 volt back up pump. I do not know what size or what brand the main sump pump is. I would like to have a new Zoeller sump pump pre plumbed to serve as a backup/replacement pump if the existing main pump ever fails (which I know it will some day). The house is 2000 sq.ft with a finished basement. It is in an area with a relatively high water table and clay soil. I know when it rains, the pump will cycle pretty regular. I have been to the Zoeller website but cannot decide which pump I should purchase. I was thinking it should be probably a 1/2 hp? but I really don't know anything about these pumps. What model would you all recommend and where can I purchase one? From what I have been able to find out so far, I have to be a licensed plumber to purchase one around my area as the only dealers available only sell to plumbers/contractors. I hate to just buy one online, but may have to. Do any of you also have a recommendation for a supplier online? I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks,
Ron

George R

Reaction score
rdgallo, I can't really help you with regard to the correct pump to buy, I'll leave that to the pros. However, anyone can purchase a Zoeller sump pump at Kimpling Ace Hardware in Washington IL. This is the most "DIY friendly" plumbing supply house in your (our) area.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would use the same size as the existing main pump and use an alternating control.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Well it all depends on how high of a lift the pump is pumping into. Also known as the head. Most commonly the head is under 10 foot, so the M-53 Zoeller pump would be just fine. If the head is over 10 foot but under 20 foot the M-98 would be a better choice.

rdgallo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, SewerRatz. Does it hurt anything to put too big of a pump in other than spending more money than probably what is necessary? In other words, if I put the m98 in and it turns out I could have gotten by with the m53? Will it not run enough to be efficient?
Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I do not recommend oversizing the pump..... An over-sized pump will only run for a very short period between cycles. This short pump cycling time will cause the switch or motor to fail much sooner than a properly sized pump. These pumps will last much longer running continuously than they would if constantly cycling on and off.

To properly size the pump, one would need to know not only the lift but also the capacity of the pit. Ideally the pump capacity would only be slightly higher than the maximum potential intake of the sump pit.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I do not recommend oversizing the pump..... An over-sized pump will only run for a very short period between cycles. This short pump cycling time will cause the switch or motor to fail much sooner than a properly sized pump. These pumps will last much longer running continuously than they would if constantly cycling on and off.

To properly size the pump, one would need to know not only the lift but also the capacity of the pit. Ideally the pump capacity would only be slightly higher than the maximum potential intake of the sump pit.

I agree fully with Cacher Chick!

Moror starting is often at 150% of the full load amperage and induces heat into the motor. On most motors about 8-10 starts an hour is the maximum recommended number of starts.

Installation of a 2 motor system with a device that alternates the pumps will give you maximum pump life with a back up already in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks