Need help calculating Friction loss for IRRIGATION

Users who are viewing this thread

DGM_Jakarta

Reaction score
Great thinking, well cass this is my first time project too, i never had this big one, the one before only takes 4700 feet long but with steel pipe. thats why i got into lots of forum to looking for ideas or some reasonable thought, so far only MR. Valveman had a responsible answer. ok now back to valveman, broo where do you find the friction loss, do you got any address on the web? because i also had one but the biggest one only for 12" pipe. I found it at Goulds pump website. How do you calculate the FPM? this is i got to know, cause this is important matter to design a pipe system.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump is started and stopped against a closed valve, everything will work fine. The valve will need to be slowly opened after the pump starts, and slowly closed before the pump is shut off. Problems can occur if the pump is running and the power goes off. For safety I would use a combination pressure relief/surge anticipator valve that is teed off after the pump.

DGM_Jakarta

Reaction score
So i put the pressure relief valve after the pump. How about if im using two pumps? one for running and the other only for backup but they have a header pipe, can i place the pressure relief valve after the header pipe. Because this is a long way from the city, middle of the country wheres no technician. So we need one pump for a backup just in case.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes you can place the pressure relief after the header connecting the two pumps. It needs to be a combination valve with surge anticipation feature as well. I am looking for a friction loss chart on the web, hard to find for 16" and 20" pipe. If I can't find it, I will scan a copy from my book.

DGM_Jakarta

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman, it is hard to find on the net, i already tried many times, but the biggest pipe i found is 12". Im really appreciated that broo. Ah one more question, according to your opinion for the pump which is the best type, a centrifugal end suction or submersible waste water pump or turbine pump. I know every type of pump has different installation on the field, im just looking at the most easy pump for maintenance. For the power im using a diesel generator set with 250KVA, for one pump only. the river only had 33 feet from the bottom. and the suction length horizontal pvc pipe 16" are 25 feet from offshore. What do you think broo???

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think 16" pipe is not big enough for 4700 GPM, and is certainly not big enough for a suction pipe. Small suction pipe causes cavitation. I prefer turbine pumps as they will not require priming. It is hard to use a suction pipe with a turbine, unless you use a turbine in a can.

Attachments

• Friction Loss Chart Steel Pipe.jpg
    Friction Loss Chart Steel Pipe.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 7,014

DGM_Jakarta

Reaction score
Ok, thats a big surprise you are really a big support that book of your is really great books. Well then if there is so much trouble in the 16" pipe maybe we change it back to 20" then, where there is less pressure and less power, as for turbine pump is a great choice too, but the problem with the pump are if the pump broke down then we have to bring it up for service, the maintenance not very simple. But i agree turbine pump has advantaged and disadvantaged, i was thinking about submersible pump waste water that pressure can up to 70 PSI, but im not sure about the flow, the one that i use before are HOMA Pump from germany, and PARAGON Pump from the State but this pump doesnt have pressure 43,5 PSI, but can pump water 7900 USGPM.

May i lowered the pressure but added more flow rate to balance the output?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With 20" pipe you only need 68' of head at 4800 GPM. You might be able to find a submersible sewage type pump that will work. If it has to be installed 26' from shore, and kept off the bottom, installation with 26' of 20" flexible hose could be a problem. You would have to prime a centrifugal and use a foot valve but, the pump and motor would be on shore, and only the suction pipe and foot valve would be out in the lake.

DGM_Jakarta

Reaction score
Well valveman im thinking using the centrifugal pump, i think it is the most efficient pump for maintenance, because we dont have to change any installation pipe when the pump are broke down and can fix it on the spot. Maybe sometimes have to cleaned the foot valve. but if im using the submersible pump it takes some time to bring it offshore. anyway thanks again broo your opinion and ideas are very important to my project. we still havent decided the brand pump, because we are looking for some open clog pump with flow and pressure as we demand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks