How to clamp/fasten gas pipe to wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Now, i've seen all the rants, i want to point out this piping was here when i moved in.

What i have is a 7 ft run horizontal of 1/2" pipe across my side wall, then a 6ft drop in the corner, then another 6 ft horizontal (perpendicular to the first horizontal run) across my back wall. Think of it as a 3 dimensional "Z". And not one clamp or hanger on any of it. It feeds the dryer.

I found J hooks for the top horizontal part, but the other two runs (vertical near a corner, and horizontal near a wall) are offset from the walls about 1-2", so i can't just use normal clamps and clamp them to the wall. How would you fasten these in place? All the walls are CMU.

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've used the type of clamp that uses threaded rod into a baseplate that is screwed to the wall, then screws into a clamp that goes around the pipe on the other end. Each piece threads onto the rod, and the rod can be whatever length you need to give you the desired standoff length. Get a couple of those on a section of pipe, and it's not going anywhere.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In my house I use 3/4" copper bell hangers, normally used for copper water pipes, for just that purpose. Screwed straight into the wall using a plastic wall anchor.

252189_front200.jpg

This stopped my dryer gas pipe from blowing in the wind.

Isn't life funny when you can use copper hangers for iron pipe but not the other way round?

Last edited:

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
the problem is that my pipes are 2 in or so from the wall...those are way too short, and the reason I have avoided them. unless I put some blocking behind them...

....what do the pros do in this case?

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
One word, Unistrut. Do a Google search.

I would most likely use an angle bracket and piece of strut out from the wall and then the proper sized clips to secure the pipe.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
I gave in and went with the plates and split rings - 2.50 plus rod per set, instead of less than a buck for a clamp...oh well. I just thought it would be kind of funny on the horizontal run, with the weight of the pipe trying to bend the threaded rod sticking out of the wall horizontaly...but I guess the pipe doesn't weigh that much...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Have you tried to bend 3/8" steel rod? Especially when you said it only needed to be a couple of inches long?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks