Anyone ever seen a warped Americast tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
After finally getting drywall up and taped, I took a gander at stacking some tiles in the tub area just to see how it would look.

Horrible!!! Why? because the tub deck is warped. My walls are perfectly plumb....I put a 4' level on the tub deck and there is a 1/8" gap under the center of the level. So the tiles that were resting on the tub deck were actually NOT level. I levelled the first tile, then continued a level line horizontally across the wall.

At the lowest point, the tub deck is 1/4" off!!

Has anyone ever seen something like that?

I cant believe I apparently had to bring a level with me to HD/Lowes to pick out "just the right tub". And now that its installed, my only choice is to make it work (waaaaaay too much work at this point to remove all the drywall to pull the tub out and demand a new one)

-Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If that tub is also to be used as a shower, you should tear out the drywall and install cbu...drywall is intended for DRY locations, and neither tile nor grout will keep it dry...a disaster waiting to happen (even if it is greenboard, which BTW, is no longer in the national codes, although some locales have not adopted it yet).

The tile should not be installed directly on the tub deck...there should be a gap there you caulk (unless you use something like Dilex from www.schluter.com). you should caulk the corners also, but Schluter has a tile-in expansion joint for corners, too if you want to avoid caulk everywhere.

As to the warp, is the tub lip ledger board straight, level, and installed at the proper height? Did you ensure the floor was perfectly level or support the tub in a mortar bed?

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
If that tub is also to be used as a shower, you should tear out the drywall and install cbu...drywall is intended for DRY locations, and neither tile nor grout will keep it dry...a disaster waiting to happen (even if it is greenboard, which BTW, is no longer in the national codes, although some locales have not adopted it yet).

The tile should not be installed directly on the tub deck...there should be a gap there you caulk (unless you use something like Dilex from www.schluter.com). you should caulk the corners also, but Schluter has a tile-in expansion joint for corners, too if you want to avoid caulk everywhere.

As to the warp, is the tub lip ledger board straight, level, and installed at the proper height? Did you ensure the floor was perfectly level or support the tub in a mortar bed?

I intend on using Kerdi over the drywall, otherwise I would have installed CBU :)

I realize there should be a gap between the tub deck and bottom tile. I was just resting the tiles there to help hold them.........and it doesnt matter gap or no gap, the gap will be inconsistent whatever gap is there.

Ledger board is straight (I ran it thru my jointer just to make sure), installed at correct height, and is perfectly level. Tub is supported by a mortar bed (but SHHHH dont tell American Standard).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you make your first row of tile slightly less than full, you can taper them so you have a consistent gap to the tub. More work, but it would give you what would look like a straight line. Just make sure to keep the grout lines nice and straight on the top and subsequent rows. I'd want to use something like Kerdifix on the tub/kerdi joint.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Yeah thats what I was thinking of doing. Mark a level line where the 1st row *should* be level (at the lowest point of the dip), then tile upward from there. Once the rest of the wall is done, come back and scribe/contour the 1st row of tile to fit close to the tub.

For the joint between tub and Kerdi I was planning on using OSI Quad caulk, but I suppose I can spring for a tube of KerdiFix.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have to ask.....did you install the tub ledge on a straight and plumb 2x4 ledger on the back wall??

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
I have to ask.....did you install the tub ledge on a straight and plumb 2x4 ledger on the back wall??

Yes...jad asked that earlier. And honestly I wouldnt see how the ledger would cause a 1/4" dip in the center of the tub........if it were, I figured there would be some more outward signs that the tub was bent towards center. Like the screw flange being buckled, porcelain coating chipping/flaking, etc.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Instructions for Americast specifically PROHIBIT any mortar under the tub.

Yes they do as does the sticker right on the tub. But it seems its done by plenty of installers and there arent necessarily any problems.

And if AS just warranties the tub, thats the least of my worries. The time and cost of removing (or having removed) all of the drywall to get the tub back out will end up to be worth more than the tub itself. So, it stays in place and I have to tile around it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks