(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Celing Fan wiring

Default Celing Fan wiring

I am building new construction and will have an electrician hard wire but will install ceiling fan myself. I wanted to have 2 wall switches control the fan. One to control the light and another (knob) to control the various speeds of the fan. Is that possible and if so, how does it need to be wired
    (anything special) and what wiring must the fan have (I have seen 2 wire vs 3 wire options when purchasing fans)
    thanks

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

That depends entirely on the way the variable-speed controller works. If it's continuous, like a rheostat, you can get away with 3 wires (plus ground) from the switch to the fan (neutral, light, fan). If it's a multi-speed control, like low-medium-high, then you will probably need a separate wire for each speed, plus the one for the light, plus the neutral and ground.

It is best to simply run a 3 wire so you can have 3 switches.

Most quality fans these days actually have remote control devices at both ends and you can completely control the fan from that. The remote control will be installed inside the canopy of the fan.

Just go to an electric supply house and tell them what you want and they will direct you.

You may not even need the 3rd wire but have him pull it anyway, just incase you buy a cheap piece of crap.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

My (ancient) Cassablanca fan controls fan speed, direction, light and dimmer with a two-wire circuit but requires their controller. Haven't looked at anything recent.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Always, ALWAYS run a 3 wire cable to a ceiling fan.

Generally it is a 14/3.

When you hang the fan, use the black for the fan and the red for the light. Black/black (fan motor), red/blue (light kit)white/white (common/neutral), green/bare (ground) Hunter brand fans use black for fan motor and black/white stripe for light kit.

It is best to simply run a 3 wire so you can have 3 switches.
    I think you meant two switches rookie
    Last edited by 220/221; 12-04-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

In my case, I was replacing an overhead light with a fain/light combo and wanted to control the light and fan. The cassablanca does that electronically with only the two wire circuit. If you are running a new wire, the extra wire gives you a lot more flexibility.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
    Always, ALWAYS run a 3 wire cable to a ceiling fan.

Generally it is a 14/3.

When you hang the fan, use the black for the fan and the red for the light. Black/black (fan motor), red/blue (light kit)white/white (common/neutral), green/bare (ground) Hunter brand fans use black for fan motor and black/white stripe for light kit.

I think you meant two switches rookie
    yes,............why yes I did
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    if it's a multi-speed control, like low-medium-high, then you will probably need a separate wire for each speed, plus the one for the light, plus the neutral and ground.
    huh ???!!!???
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    huh ???!!!???
    Yup. I've seen older fans with (apparently) multi-tapped windings and low-medium-high switches to set the speed. You'd need a common plus one wire for each speed if you wanted the switch on the wall, instead of on the fan. I'd be really surprised to find one for sale anywhere today, but I've been surprised before.

Learn something new... every day.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...