(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Tub Diverter Rough-In Question

Default Tub Diverter Rough-In Question

The existing 90 degree elbow and pipe for my tub diverter is 1/2" copper. As I'm remodeling, should this be brass for strength, or is it normal to use copper for the bathtub diverter? Neither Delta or Moen seem to have any onfo. Thanks.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Copper is the tried and true standard.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Brass would work as well. Costs more...your choice. If it is a screw-on spout, it might be harder finding a brass nipple just the length you want.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

My limited experience is with Delta. A 1/2" male adapter with a short copper nipple works great. No harm in brass, but more expensive and sweating is a tad more difficult. The critical part of the job is getting the correct length of pipes to and from the elbow. The pipe to the spout only has to be reasonably close because the adapter screws in to take up a little excess length and tighten the spout to the wall.

Default spout

What is a "copper nipple"? The Delta spout can be connected with copper tubing, a copper male adapter, or a brass nipple, so the only decision to make is which one you wish to use, how you are going to do it, and how to anchor the elbow securely.

The term "copper nipple" probably isn't technically proper. I use the term nipple, perhaps incorrectly, to refer to a short length of pipe or tubing. In this case, it is the short piece of tubing between the male adapter that screws into the spout and the elbow that connects the pipe coming from the valve.

Default nipple

The term "nipple" would refer to a short piece of threaded pipe, so it would be brass or galvanized steel normally. And it would be screwed into a female thread elbow inside the wall. Copper would be extended outside the wall and then it would be cut off to the proper point and the spout connected, some way.