(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: humidistat??

Default humidistat??

After doing a couple of checks with my voltage meter I have determined that my humidistat is shot. It is cheap standard issue that mounts in a hole in the return air duct.
    I am thinking about upgrading to a thermostat/humidistat combo. Is there one that takes a reading from the outside air temp and adjust humidity accordingly? Also, I have a 5 conductor thermostat wire running from the current thermostat to the furnace. I have FAG furnace and central air. I believe I have 2 conductors free????

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Chris

Default humidifier

Why would you use the outdoor temperature as a basis for the humidity? The relative humidity is a function of air temperature and if you use the outdoor cold weather, your level will be so low indoors that you might as well not have the humdifier.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Why would you use the outdoor temperature as a basis for the humidity? The relative humidity is a function of air temperature and if you use the outdoor cold weather, your level will be so low indoors that you might as well not have the humdifier.

The fact is, I dont know. I was just asking the question because on my current humidistat there is a scale that sugests a humidity level based on different outdoor temps.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Some humidifers (like the Aprilaire unit I have) come with an outside air temp sensor. It adjusts the interior humidity based on the outdoor temp so you don't get condensation on the walls if it is really cold out. It also turns the humidifier off once it gets above 50-degrees outside. It's handy since you can set it and it won't turn itself on during the summer. Those who live in the desert probably would have trouble getting the humidity high enough to cause condensation.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014