Tee PVC into Cast Iron Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

jmengel

Reaction score
Putting in a new bathroom upstairs and are running a new 3" PVC stack down to meet with the main drain line in the basement. Rest of the house is hubbed cast iron. Have dug through the basement slab and am about to snap the 4" cast iron and T the PVC into the main waste line. My plan is to use a 4x4x3 PVC Wye and glue a few inches of 4" PVC into the 4" ends of the wye and use shielded hubless neoprene boots to connect the 4" PVC stubs to the cut ends of the 4" cast iron pipe. Is there a fitting designed for this or is this the best way to T a new PVC system into an old cast iron system? Seems like a kludge to me, there must be a better way.

Additionally, is it preferred to dig out an entire hubbed length of the cast iron or is it OK to just snap cut out a small (18") section and replace with a PVC T as described?

Thanks for your help!

-Jon

jmengel

Reaction score
I am cutting into the horizontal run under the slab. Is a cast hubless Tee still preferred in this application?

-Jon

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Horizontal? You could go either way,
I like using the no-hub cast wyes though.
It's closer to the pipe size and looks a bit cleaner.

jmengel

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips everyone. This site has been an important resource for my whole plumbing project.

-Jon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks