Anyone tried a Fluidmaster waxless adapter on Toto?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy either an Ultramax or Gwyneth toilet.
Has anyone used the Fluidmaster waxless adapter on either of these toilets?

Thanks!
Ron

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

Fluidmaster waxless seal on the bottom of a Toto.

We push the Fluidmaster waxless seal onto the bottom of the bowl first, and the drop the bowl down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I used them on my two toilets because I needed to remove them a couple of times during remodeling to finish up the floors and keep things useable in between. They work fine. Just make sure you use the right seal for the diameter of the drain pipe.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Did you read my post? When remodeling, you sometimes have to install, remove, and reinstall a toilet a few times. Scrapping off the wax, getting a new one, and resetting the toilet is messy. The waxless can be reused numerous times. It can also help if the flange not quite level or recessed as the thing fits down into the throat of the drain line. My flanges were fine, but because I was trying to keep things useable as remodeling, painting, tiling, fixing the subfloor, etc. I chose the waxless. If you pipe is old cast iron, it might not seal well, so probably wouldn't be the best choice...there a wax ring is still king (and cheaper). The inside of the pipe needs to be fairly smooth and clean. If you were using something like a Caroma with a 3" internal trap, it probably wouldn't be a good idea as there'd be a restriction, but it is as big in diameter (bigger actually) than that in most toilets so hasn't presented a problem, at least for me.

Probedude

Reaction score
Did you read my post? When remodeling, you sometimes have to install, remove, and reinstall a toilet a few times. Scrapping off the wax, getting a new one, and resetting the toilet is messy. The waxless can be reused numerous times.

Yep, read your post but still didn't see the advantage. Given the length it looks like it would get knocked off easily before you lowered it on the flange to the point the bolts came through. Also you cannot set the toilet down but have to lay it over on its side, no?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Given the length it looks like it would get knocked off easily before you lowered it on the flange to the point the bolts came through. Also you cannot set the toilet down but have to lay it over on its side, no?

If you like wax, use wax.

There are times when that long funnel comes in handy, some flanges are way too low.

Some toilets like the Eljer Titan blow out wax seals. Fixes that problem.

I try a lot of toilets, so being able to install and uninstall without sticky wax is nice.

You do have to lift the bowl up to install with these. If you aren't strong enough to lift one, maybe your neighbor can do it for you.
My sixteen YO does it pretty easily.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When you pull a toilet with the waxless, it often stays in the flange, so no, you don't have to flip the toilet over. Either way, it just pulls off, so it's not a big deal...with the cost of a wax ring verses this, wax is still king, but not if you're changing it out and want to save some time and cleanup to prep for reinstallation.

Probedude

Reaction score
When you pull a toilet with the waxless, it often stays in the flange, so no, you don't have to flip the toilet over. Either way, it just pulls off, so it's not a big deal...with the cost of a wax ring verses this, wax is still king, but not if you're changing it out and want to save some time and cleanup to prep for reinstallation.

Gotcha, thanks.

Terry said:
You do have to lift the bowl up to install with these. If you aren't strong enough to lift one, maybe your neighbor can do it for you.

My bigger problem is getting the toilet aligned to the flange in setting it down - kind of like putting a manual transmission back in - I can get the tranny lifted and in, but lining up the input shaft to the clutch disc then pilot bushing, well. . . . With the waxless flange attached to the toilet first, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to drop it down straight up and down without it popping off the toilet.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sure I wouldn't be able to drop it down straight up and down without it popping off the toilet.

It's not that hard.
You have to push the adapter on pretty hard to begin with. It takes quite a bit for them to come off again.
You can also sight the over the closet bolts, which gets you pretty close, and it's not that snug a fit, with the rubber ring on it.
You can kind of ball park it in, and then the rubber ring centers you.
Once you have done one, you will know what I mean. Right now you are just guessing.

It's much harder to reinstall a transmission, I've done plenty of those too.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
New toilet flange

I pulled my old toilet today. The old toilet was set over a vinyl floor over a cement slab. The old flange was set about 1/4 inch above to slab. Too high for the vinyl and too low for the tile I am putting in.

After reading posts on the forum it appears the correct way to install a flange on a concrete floor is to have it set on top of the tile and held down with screws. I have looked at a lot of new houses in the Oklahoma City and Edmond, OK area that are under construction. I don't recall ever seeing the flange screwed down to the slab. But I would like to do it the correct way so...

My questions are;

- How do I fill the area around the pipe with cement, but leave space for the new flange.

- If the cement is filled up to the drain pipe, there is only about 1/2 inch of cement between the screws that will be put in to hold the flange and the drain pipe. Seems this would break the cement a soon as the screw is tightened.

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
Another use for the waxless adapter is an installation on a concrete slab with radiant heat. Even if the heating tubes in the slab are held back a bit, the floor can still get warm enough to deform the wax ring.

bpars18

Reaction score
Does the Flange need to be Flush with the Tile Floor?

My flange sits a good 1/2-3/4 of an inch below my tile floor. It appears to me I have to extend my flange to be flush with the floor in order for the Fluidmaster Waxless to have something force it against the bottom of the toilet. Without this direct pressure, wouldn't the fluidmaster waxless be at risk of sliding off of the toilet and into the flange over time?

Also, if I buy the flange extensions. Can I simply apply some caulk to them and stack them? Or should I pull the screws from the original flange and drive new screws through the extensions and the original flange?

Thanks,

Brett

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I recently installed 2 Toto Gwyneths in my house after tiling 2 bathrooms, so the flanges were like yours, about 3/4" below the surface of the tiles. I bought both Fluidmaster and Fernco waxless seals, and went with the Fernco. It glues onto the toilet horn and is long enough even if you have a low flange.

If you use the Fluidmaster waxless seal, push it onto the bottom of the bowl first.

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Lav Lifter

You can get this handy little tool to help you set water closets. Marco sells them.

Attachments

• n_lavlifter.jpg
    n_lavlifter.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,562
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks