Didn't know this: elongated vs round/ Also THANKS.

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
Last night at a family gathering, the guys were talking about house projects & this came up, which I never heard. Someone said the flushing technology is different between a round bowl & elongated bowl. The round design swirls the water around the bowl & then waste is flushed, whereas an enlongated bowl just dumps the waste. Since I just replaced a 30 yr old round bowl toilet with an elongated bowl Toto, the flushing of both was as described. Howerver, I thought the diffence was attributable to either the high water usage of an old toilet versus modern technology of a low water usage toilet, OR different technology by different manufacturers. If what I was told was correct, it seems a round bowl would have a better cleaning action during a flush. Comments?

BTW, I would like to thank this form for all the help I got in remodeling my bathroom. It turned out better than I deserved. Help was universal, from tub installation, drain fitting questions, shower valve installation, humidity barriers behind cement board, etc, etc. I also liked & followed the recommendation for a Toto Drake toilet. Nice piece. My next bathroom to remodel should take significantly less time than the first. Thanks again, all.

FJK (Jim)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's not a universal characterization of toilet flushing technology. No new toilet can flush enough water to make it rise up and then swirl down - that just takes more water than allowed. Some of the new ones still swirl the water around the bowl, but it doesn't rise much.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The comment on the web about round toilets swirling and elongated bowls not swirling is just wrong and silly.

The difference between round and elongated is not performance.
Flush ratings are similar between round and elongated if you test enough bowls.
It's more to do with more room.

That means a man will fit on an elongated bowl.
It's cleaner, more target to hit when standing,
more in the bowl, less on the floor.

The best cleaning Drake bowl is the elongated C744EG with CEFIONTECT
The combination is
CST744SG, 1.6 gallons
CST744EG, 1.28 gallons

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks