4" Cast Iron toilet drain too tall

Users who are viewing this thread

panawop

Reaction score
Novice remodeling 80 yr old bathroom... the original 4" cast iron pipe for toilet drain sits 1-1/4" above subfloor without a flange.
What's best, looking for a cast iron flange or trying to break the pipe and tie into pvc with rubber boot? (finished floor will still be 3/4" short of top of pipe)
Any suggestions would be much appreciated...:confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cast iron can be a problem for DIYers. The very best thing to do is to hire a plumber to properly install a flange at the correct height. If you determine to DIY, then shortening the pipe and installing a flange with a no-hub connector would be the best option to professional help. You do not use a "rubber boot". These are intended for buried connections only. I'm not sure by your description if you are aware that the flange is supposed to set on top of the finished floor. In addition to the drain connection, it is anchored with screws through the finished floor and into the sub floor. I'd recommend you get the floor completely laid leaving the pipe extending through the floor then call the plumber to do the flange work. That would be the best way.

panawop

Reaction score
Thanks! Unable to afford a pro @ present. But may try a CI flange that inserts the pipe. All suggestions are welcome!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks