replacing neoprene gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Hi,

I posted a few months back about my floor mounted rear-outlet toilet that had intermiitant leaking. Well I finally got around to replacing the neoprene gasket and found that the toilet had originally been installed with a wax ring!

I cleaned off as much of the wax as I could and installed the neoprene gasket by placing it on the nipple of the toilet (beveled side toward toilet, flat side towards the flange) and sliding it back onto the closet flange. The gasket did not come with any sort of adhesive and the guys at the plumbing supply house said that it didn't need any. The gasket I was told to get is about 1 inch thick with one flat side and one beveled side.

Now the problem.

The flange itself protrudes about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the finished wall and now the toilet is no longer sitting flush with the wall. Is this OK? Is there a special type of flange that should be used for wall applications involving floor mounted toilets?

The neoprene gasket does stick out a little from the back of the toilet so I think that it is making contact with the flange. My question is how compressed should the gasket be for a water tight seal? Should I try to screw the bolts down more to get a little closer to the wall? I am afraid that I will break the mounting holes on the toilet if I exert too much pressure on them.

Thanks

Chun

Last edited:

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

So far no leaks as far as I can tell so I think I have a good seal. Will keep an eye on it for a few weeks but hopefully this will solve the problem.

Great forum by the way, I've learnt a lot about plumbing and how screwed up the plumbing in my house is. Don't worry though, I know my limits so will be hiring a licensed plumber for the big jobs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks