(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Septic System questions

It's pretty tough to determine how long the filters will last without cleaning/replacing them. A cesspool service suffolk county that I use told me the same thing that basically everyone here is saying. You can never really be sure.

It's been over two years since we had our septic repaired (and last pumped), and I've decided to open the access hatch to the distribution box and see how things are going. I was (very carefully) able to take some pictures of the three corrugated pipes that leave the distribution box and carry the effluent to the leech field, and I'm wondering if there is any usefulness of these pictures in predicting how extensive the bio mat may be? Considering these pipes are 37 years old, they look practically brand new. Granted, this only shows the first few feet of the pipes, but wouldn't they tend show the most buildup if there was an impending bio mat problem?

Last edited by JAR8832; 09-21-2011 at 11:03 AM.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAR8832 View Post
    ... I'm wondering if there is any usefulness of these pictures in predicting how extensive the bio mat may be?
    ... wouldn't they tend show the most buildup if there was an impending bio mat problem?
    Not really, but you might try looking for a high-water mark inside your distribution box to see whether they have ever been completely full (backed up). Biomat typically happens when salt hits clay soil and causes hardpan, or else when tanks are not pumped regularly and solids begin flowing out into the field. With your system being that old and still working well, I would guess you just need to keep taking good care by pumping your tank every couple of years.