DIY Electrical

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
>Panel
I also don't know why it's ok to leave the wire exposed like that.

I know it's allowed by code, but...

I like my wires to be protected by something more substantial than it's plastic sheath.

Also Why would it make any difference how many outlets you have on a 15 amp string? Using a 20 amp outlet is only asking for trouble.

-
Years ago... I was stacking staples when I first started wiring my garage, but I found muti-wire clamps and removed the earlier stacked staples.

Note: The stacked staples looked really nice since I used longer nails to go threw each plastic spacer.
This resulted in spacer-wire-spacer-wire-spacer-wire-board

-
Back on the story. I don't understand why they did not use the white as the traveler?

The neutral could have come back on a separate 14-2

Then again if they did not have a separate 14-2, how did they power the door opener when the light was off?

The hole story makes me wonder about some people.
1. No ground rod at garage. Code requires separate structures to have ground rods.

2. No separate ground wire. Code requires all sub panels not to have neutral bonded to ground.

3. Technically the size of the wire is legal since the breaker in the house was most likely 15 amp, but lights and a door opener could overload a 15 amp circuit.

4. A GFI on the outdoor outlet could have tripped due to the way the 3-way was wired. To make it not trip they would have had to power the 3-way from the GFI and that would have required it to be either in the house or they would have had to add another wire.

5. Multiple hot sources in same wire. This assumes the 3-way was powered by the closest circuit.

6. Who put in the outdoor outlet and did not add a ground wire?

It's too bad it was not a DYI job.
It would have made a nice Darwin award.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
On the pro box; I am having trouble seeing detail, but there is something red at the top of the wire bundle on the far right going from the top of the box to the ceiling. Would that be an unsheathed wire or something else?

sbrn33

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.scottelectric.net
As I look at the pro panel, I can count a least 35 circuits going into what looks like a 150 ampere 30 circuit panel.(judging by the se cable). I am pretty sure that isn't a 40 or 42 space panel.
Thanks Scott

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
As I look at the pro panel, I can count a least 35 circuits going into what looks like a 150 ampere 30 circuit panel.(judging by the se cable). I am pretty sure that isn't a 40 or 42 space panel.
Thanks Scott

Maybe it is a 30/40 panel

I have installed 1000s of 20/40 panels in my life that were supplied by 100 or 125 amps that had more than 20 spaces used in the panel in apartments

sbrn33

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.scottelectric.net
Yea that could be right, I didn't really think about that as it would be pretty rare in a Sq-D QO series. Good catch though.
Either way I would not want anything to do with the insides of that panel, between the QO's crappy neutral bar set-up and the side entry of the wires that baby has got to be packed(neat but packed)
Scott

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
I dont know about this being a professional installation. Seems to me it could still be an inexperienced person. Using all those ko's. All pros Ive seen come in through the top, using connectors rated for more than one wire. Or through a pipe or two using the Exception at 312.5(C) of the NEC>

This panel looks as though the person had more concern about astetics than anything else.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to put some material that doesn't catch fire easily on top of the plywood, like type x sheetrock? I'm talking about between the panel and the wood.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
This has been an outstanding thread. I am the ultimate DIYer. I have learned so much from this site. Thanks Terry. Saying that I would never touch a project I am uncomfortable with. You guys help us all fill in the blanks.

From all the DIYers.... We would love to see more pics and advise on:

Don't do this and why.
You got to see this idea.
Great install/workmanship.
Accident waiting to happen.

Cookie

Reaction score
This has been an outstanding thread. I am the ultimate DIYer. I have learned so much from this site. Thanks Terry. Saying that I would never touch a project I am uncomfortable with. You guys help us all fill in the blanks.

From all the DIYers.... We would love to see more pics and advise on:

Don't do this and why.
You got to see this idea.
Great install/workmanship.
Accident waiting to happen.

Rocky,

On the electrical forum, Cass also put a thread up, called, Electrical Code Violations, you might want to check there from time to time, too. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks