DIY Electrical

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it shows up in the first post of the page, which changes as more posts are added.

jamiedolan

Reaction score
Is the NM standard colors? White NM 14 awg and the yellow 12 awg?

If so, the 20A outlet violates 210.21(B)1

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:

apparentgenius

Reaction score
Here is a good example.

If you look at the photo of the Professional job that looks great there are no safety hazards but there are still 3 code violations that caused the job to fail. They are small and not really safety related but still code violations.

Can any of you DIYrs see the 3 code violations in the professional photo?

Ok,

I'll open myself up for abuse. I'll go for it looks like the runs are stacked and stapled more than 2 deep, the bend radii look tight and the receptical box looks like it isn't very securely mounted.

glen

jamiedolan

Reaction score
Ok,

I'll open myself up for abuse. I'll go for it looks like the runs are stacked and stapled more than 2 deep, the bend radii look tight and the receptical box looks like it isn't very securely mounted.

glen

Add not all cables are stapled within 12 inches of panel.

My addition; 20A outlet being fed with 14 gage NM, No one else seemed to mention this.

Jamie

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
That is because it is on a 15A breaker so it is a moot point.

How do you figure? Its a code violation, Only a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit shall have an amprere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

Last edited:

apparentgenius

Reaction score
I will pay you some attention when it seems no one else will. Close but maybe not close enough.

ok, then is the third one that the cables need to be stapled within 12" of the panel and not that the recepticle box is half on/half off of the strandboard?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Exactly, NOT LESS.

Ha-ha, too bad in the pic its a duplex and NOT a single receptacle, check out art 100 definitions, Also, check out Table 210.21(B)(3). A 20 amp DUPLEX receptacle is a code violation when supplied from a 15 amp circuit, Where a 20 amp SINGLE receptacle can be supplied from a 15 amp individual branch circuit.

Last edited:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Ha-ha, too bad in the pic its a duplex and NOT a single receptacle, check out art 100 definitions, Also, check out Table 210.21(B)(3). A 20 amp DUPLEX receptacle is a code violation when supplied from a 15 amp circuit, Where a 20 amp SINGLE receptacle can be supplied from a 15 amp individual branch circuit.

Chris, that table only applies when branch circuit supplies 2 or more receptacles or outlets.

If you looked inside this panel, like I did, you would see that this receptacle was on a dedicated circuit and supplied no other receptacles.

Keep reading, it is a good learning experience for both of us.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Chris, that table only applies when branch circuit supplies 2 or more receptacles or outlets.

If you looked inside this panel, like I did, you would see that this receptacle was on a dedicated circuit and supplied no other receptacles.

Keep reading, it is a good learning experience for both of us.

Do you understand the difference between a single receptacle and a duplex receptacle? :rolleyes:

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of
an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact
device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the
same yoke

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks