(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our new bathroom, almost cooked

I teach guitar:You call that a job? Howard Emerson's Avatar

Default After your prodding, poking and pestering......

........I decided to look at the situation from a fresh perspective.

I certainly understand why you would want water to always be in a trap to prevent sewer gas coming through. All the appliances on either side of this plumbing wall (2 toilets, 2 sinks, 2 showers) all have vents and none of them, even this lav with the 'S' trap, gurgle no matter what's being flushed, etc.

However..........I know what caused me to build such a Rube Goldberg: I was not seeing the forest for the trees, as I was reusing stuff from a temporary lav countertop that was in this bathroom so that it could be used while building the real vanity.

The previous sink selection was a Kohler Yin-Yang, a vessel sink with a very off-set drain, and I actually had everything set up as a P-trap at that time.

When I changed horses in mid-stream (ie new sink, deep bowl, etc) I didn't think to go out and get a simpler set up, and just started using the fittings I had on hand.

So now I have two P-traps, and one will work, it appears, from a cursory glance holding them up to where they need to go.

I'm reminded of a favorite saying by all this: 'Why is there never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?'

Duh..............

Thanks for the prodding.

I'll post pics............First I've got guitar lessons to give...........

Onward,
    Howard
    Last edited by Howard Emerson; 11-29-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Clarity

Default New P-Trap.........

......took a little digging into the 3/4" ply for clearance, but it worked out just fine.

Thanks for taking me to task on this. I knew it was less than good.............and while we're at it, yes, I realize the supply shutoffs are usually higher than the wall drain outlet, but the cabinet guy wasn't talking to the plumber that day and he'd been thinking about a shelf along the back wall for something or other.

At least the lights don't turn on when I flush the toilet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks great, nice workmanship. Congrats and enjoy.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    Looks great, nice workmanship. Congrats and enjoy.
    Thanks Jar!

Although I did pull 3 new supplies (2-12's, 1-14) from the panel to the BR, an electrician put them in the box and did all the drops from the attic, etc.

I don't mind getting wet, but I do mind getting surprised :-O

HE

Nice workmanship and design choices Howard!

I am curious about your shower. I see that you have a sliding hand shower, as well as a standard shower head, but I don't see a diverter anywhere. Is the diverter hiding somewhere, or does your valve have that option built in and I can't see it, or did you plumb it so that both would be on at the same time?

thx
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am curious about your shower. I see that you have a sliding hand shower, as well as a standard shower head, but I don't see a diverter anywhere. Is the diverter hiding somewhere, or does your valve have that option built in and I can't see it, or did you plumb it so that both would be on at the same time?
    The Valve is a HansGrohe, and it can have both shower heads on at the same time, or individually.
    http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/JP/hruh0122.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 11-29-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Ahh so HansGrohe has a combo unit. I don't follow their product lines, so thanks for the heads up Terry!
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The Valve is a HansGrohe, and it can have both shower heads on at the same time, or individually.
    http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/JP/hruh0122.pdf
    Hi Terry,
    Actually mine is not that model.

It's 'one or the other' with the unit we bought, the Pro/Thermobalance II valve with the 'Talis' trim kit.

The thin 'rod' hanging downwards is the volume/selector control. Turn it to 9 o'clock and the shower head is on. Turn it to 3 o'clock and the hand held is on.

The small dial in the front controls the temperature with a high limit stop that can be over-ridden for hotter temps.

Regards,
    Howard