Our new bathroom, almost cooked

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Our new bathroom, w/new P-Trap pic....

Hi all,
Aside from the vanity doors I have to cut, veneer, finish and mount, I'm about done with this.

All the woodwork, aside from the oak solid-core door, is cherry. The counter top is 5/4 with 3 coats of Spar Varnish.

The last shot showing the countertop/sink also shows the little baseboard section prior to installing a short bleeder and installing the cherry cover sporting some computer desktop grill inserts for a clean look.

Thanks to all who helped with their sage advice here and there!

Best,
Howard

Attachments

• bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 001.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 666
  • bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 005.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 005.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 657
  • bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 007.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 007.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,091
  • bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 003.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 003.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 657
  • bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 053.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 053.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 649
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Looks very nice. Nice to see some good looking high end stuff with all that tile and woodwork.

Thank you Terry!

Ya know we could have gone a whole lot 'higher' end, but KISS works: Keep It Simple, Stupid:)

We both like white fixtures provided there's enough of a contrast with the background, and of course white is always the cheapest way to go. The Kohler San Raphael toilet, the Americh acrylic shower base and the American Standard Hexalyn sink are really incredibly close in their whiteness.

By the way, one of the tips I'd read here, early on, was setting the base in Structolite, but having the glop between 2 sheets of poly in case things didn't work out right. That was a great idea!

I've always used the Structo, but never the plastic!

The base feels like a warm terazzo base on a cement floor!

Another little item I addressed was making that tall towel cabinet removeable in case the shower control supplies ever need tending to. It just slides out, if need be.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, Terry!

Best,
Howard

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Very nice. I think the little toasty radiator right next to the toilet is a very comforatable touch.

Personally, I would not choose wood for a vanity top, but you know what you like and know what you are doing.

Cookie

Reaction score
It is really beautiful. Very nice work. I like the light in the linen closet.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
That towel rack looks awesome, especially with the can light. Nice work.

Hi Mike,
Glad you like it! It's actually a pair of 'puck' lights, with Halogen bulbs.

All of the interiors were done with 3/4" pre-lacquered plywood that I got from Robert's Plywood in Deerpark, NY.

Here's another couple of detail shots, showing the clear silicone around the sink, the full extension drawer in the towel cabinet, etc:

Attachments

• Bathroom pics 001.jpg
    Bathroom pics 001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 631
  • Bathroom pics 002.jpg
    Bathroom pics 002.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 631
  • Bathroom pics 004.jpg
    Bathroom pics 004.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 625
  • Bathroom pics 008.jpg
    Bathroom pics 008.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 634
  • Bathroom pics 003.jpg
    Bathroom pics 003.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 639

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Now you've gone and done it! Showed one picture too many! That trap is an S trap.....big No-No.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep...

Just saw that too!

I'll give an A+ on everything except the lav drain...
That gets an F!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Now you've gone and done it! Showed one picture too many! That trap is an S trap.....big No-No.

lol :p

Very nice work, though! Extend the tailpiece a bit more and you should be able to get the p-trap pointed to the rear.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com

Sorry, no can do. I'll post another picture and show you why it could only be done that way.

It's draining fine in any case.

The problem, ultimately, is because I decided, after the rough-in, to do a suspended vanity and as it is, the tailpiece is as short as it can be.

After I post another straight-on shot of the drain/supplies, you can give me your thoughts on it and I'm certainly open to suggestions, but I ain't taken the cabinet off the wall:)

HE

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I was admiring the work as well, till I seen the drain pipes. If a plumbing inspector came there he would insist you hire a plumber to correct it and he would want to see the rest of the plumbing rough in to see if there is any other mistakes. I am eagerly awaiting the next picture.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I was admiring the work as well, till I seen the drain pipes. If a plumbing inspector came there he would insist you hire a plumber to correct it and he would want to see the rest of the plumbing rough in to see if there is any other mistakes. I am eagerly awaiting the next picture.

Ratzo,
Here's some early ones, including moving the lav drain center, and a few of the tub drain that had to be moved to accommodate a different center on the new shower base.

I'm pretty sure the LA trap will pass muster here, although I seem to recall some bickering in a thread about the size of a shower drain vs a tub drain.

I wish I was consistant with taking pictures throughout the entire process, but alas, I was not.

I'll take a straight-on shot of the lav situation later to more clearly demonstrate my predicament.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Couplings should have been the shielded type like this
proflex.jpg

Attachments

• bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 029.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 029.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 592
  • bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 037.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 037.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 592
  • bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 044.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 044.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 587
  • bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 045.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 045.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 613
Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
After your prodding, poking and pestering......

........I decided to look at the situation from a fresh perspective.

I certainly understand why you would want water to always be in a trap to prevent sewer gas coming through. All the appliances on either side of this plumbing wall (2 toilets, 2 sinks, 2 showers) all have vents and none of them, even this lav with the 'S' trap, gurgle no matter what's being flushed, etc.

However..........I know what caused me to build such a Rube Goldberg: I was not seeing the forest for the trees, as I was reusing stuff from a temporary lav countertop that was in this bathroom so that it could be used while building the real vanity.

The previous sink selection was a Kohler Yin-Yang, a vessel sink with a very off-set drain, and I actually had everything set up as a P-trap at that time.

When I changed horses in mid-stream (ie new sink, deep bowl, etc) I didn't think to go out and get a simpler set up, and just started using the fittings I had on hand.

So now I have two P-traps, and one will work, it appears, from a cursory glance holding them up to where they need to go.

I'm reminded of a favorite saying by all this: 'Why is there never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?'

Duh..............

Thanks for the prodding.

I'll post pics............First I've got guitar lessons to give...........

Onward,
Howard

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
New P-Trap.........

......took a little digging into the 3/4" ply for clearance, but it worked out just fine.

Thanks for taking me to task on this. I knew it was less than good.............and while we're at it, yes, I realize the supply shutoffs are usually higher than the wall drain outlet, but the cabinet guy wasn't talking to the plumber that day and he'd been thinking about a shelf along the back wall for something or other.

At least the lights don't turn on when I flush the toilet.

Attachments

• New P-Trap.jpg
    New P-Trap.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 534

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Nice workmanship and design choices Howard!

I am curious about your shower. I see that you have a sliding hand shower, as well as a standard shower head, but I don't see a diverter anywhere. Is the diverter hiding somewhere, or does your valve have that option built in and I can't see it, or did you plumb it so that both would be on at the same time?

thx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks