(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our new bathroom, almost cooked

I teach guitar:You call that a job? Howard Emerson's Avatar

Default Our new bathroom, w/new P-Trap pic....

Hi all,
    Aside from the vanity doors I have to cut, veneer, finish and mount, I'm about done with this.

All the woodwork, aside from the oak solid-core door, is cherry. The counter top is 5/4 with 3 coats of Spar Varnish.

The last shot showing the countertop/sink also shows the little baseboard section prior to installing a short bleeder and installing the cherry cover sporting some computer desktop grill inserts for a clean look.

Thanks to all who helped with their sage advice here and there!

Best,
    Howard
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Howard Emerson; 11-29-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Additional pic

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very nice. Nice to see some good looking high end stuff with all that tile and woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Looks very nice. Nice to see some good looking high end stuff with all that tile and woodwork.
    Thank you Terry!

Ya know we could have gone a whole lot 'higher' end, but KISS works: Keep It Simple, Stupid:-)

We both like white fixtures provided there's enough of a contrast with the background, and of course white is always the cheapest way to go. The Kohler San Raphael toilet, the Americh acrylic shower base and the American Standard Hexalyn sink are really incredibly close in their whiteness.

By the way, one of the tips I'd read here, early on, was setting the base in Structolite, but having the glop between 2 sheets of poly in case things didn't work out right. That was a great idea!

I've always used the Structo, but never the plastic!

The base feels like a warm terazzo base on a cement floor!

Another little item I addressed was making that tall towel cabinet removeable in case the shower control supplies ever need tending to. It just slides out, if need be.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, Terry!

Best,
    Howard

Very nice. I think the little toasty radiator right next to the toilet is a very comforatable touch.

Personally, I would not choose wood for a vanity top, but you know what you like and know what you are doing.

It is really beautiful. Very nice work. I like the light in the linen closet.

That towel rack looks awesome, especially with the can light. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVila View Post
    That towel rack looks awesome, especially with the can light. Nice work.
    Hi Mike,
    Glad you like it! It's actually a pair of 'puck' lights, with Halogen bulbs.

All of the interiors were done with 3/4" pre-lacquered plywood that I got from Robert's Plywood in Deerpark, NY.

Here's another couple of detail shots, showing the clear silicone around the sink, the full extension drawer in the towel cabinet, etc:

Now you've gone and done it! Showed one picture too many! That trap is an S trap.....big No-No.

Yep, I caught that too.

Yep...

Just saw that too!

I'll give an A+ on everything except the lav drain...
    That gets an F!

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Now you've gone and done it! Showed one picture too many! That trap is an S trap.....big No-No.
    lol

Very nice work, though! Extend the tailpiece a bit more and you should be able to get the p-trap pointed to the rear.

LOL, everyone's a critic.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Sorry, no can do. I'll post another picture and show you why it could only be done that way.

It's draining fine in any case.

The problem, ultimately, is because I decided, after the rough-in, to do a suspended vanity and as it is, the tailpiece is as short as it can be.

After I post another straight-on shot of the drain/supplies, you can give me your thoughts on it and I'm certainly open to suggestions, but I ain't taken the cabinet off the wall:-)

HE

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

I was admiring the work as well, till I seen the drain pipes. If a plumbing inspector came there he would insist you hire a plumber to correct it and he would want to see the rest of the plumbing rough in to see if there is any other mistakes. I am eagerly awaiting the next picture.

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    I was admiring the work as well, till I seen the drain pipes. If a plumbing inspector came there he would insist you hire a plumber to correct it and he would want to see the rest of the plumbing rough in to see if there is any other mistakes. I am eagerly awaiting the next picture.

Ratzo,
    Here's some early ones, including moving the lav drain center, and a few of the tub drain that had to be moved to accommodate a different center on the new shower base.

I'm pretty sure the LA trap will pass muster here, although I seem to recall some bickering in a thread about the size of a shower drain vs a tub drain.

I wish I was consistant with taking pictures throughout the entire process, but alas, I was not.

I'll take a straight-on shot of the lav situation later to more clearly demonstrate my predicament.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Couplings should have been the shielded type like this
    Last edited by Terry; 11-29-2008 at 11:13 AM.