(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: boiler pilot light

Default boiler pilot light

I'm having trouble keeping my boiler lit. I have replaced the pilot light numerous times and the new one would last a few days to a few weeks before it would start going out again. Does anyone have any ideas about what would be causing this?

Default pilot

Not really without checking it, but that problem usually has little to do with the pilot light itself.

What the hell is a pilot light. Is that the same as a night light?

It what the pilot uses to light a smoke.

I'm not a pro so take this with a large grain of salt. Here are some of the possibilities depending on type of water heater you have...

Problem one: thermocouple.

Problem two: air intake screen gets plugged with dust and not enough fresh air is supplied

Problem three: if floor under the WH is damp from time to time, you may have a slow drip that puts the light out
    Last edited by tl2tl; 11-28-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

It would be helpful if we had make and model of your boiler. Does your unit have a fixed pilot you must lite yourself, or does it use a hot surface igniter? There is to many variables to be able to give you useful advice. Some boiler manufactures do have a Technical support line that can help you trouble shoot the unit. As a plumber I am never to proud to admit I do not know about a unit I never seen and call the manufacture for some help.

Here's the best advice of all. CALL A PRO before you launch your house and yourself to the moon Alice.