Oil furnace trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

1HDRIDER00

Reaction score
I'll try to be short without leaving out the details. The girlfriend last spring had trouble with her oil furnace. Called a local Mega service dealer. Was told her furnace was dirty, needed to be cleaned and serviced, chimney needed to be cleaned. All of this was done. The chimney by another contractor, who also repaired the top of the chimney. The service co. replaced the filter, nozzle and the ignition transformer. After that it would sometime trip the reset. She would reset the unit and it would run. Now it's fall I find out about this problem. Just hitting the reset doesn't do it any longer. I removed the transformer and inspected the, eye, electrode, nozzle. The ends of the electrode that comes in contact with the transformer look homemade, rough, but ok. Here is the part in question. The Ignition transformer. One of the contact ends, which make contact with the electrode, is bent. When I unscerw the end, the threaded stud is loose. The other side is straight and tight. So the contact with the electrode is not that great. I tried to adjust it the best I could. I put the unit back together and it works fine. For about a day, not overnight. I suggested she call the severice man back, as she has, and I'm sure you are aware, has spent a lot of money. They come out look at the unit tell her the electrode is bad.The unit is old and the part will be hard to find. It has been 2 weeks and no call from our Mega shop. I'm trying to help. I don't want to see her being taken advantage of. If I can help. Before she calls anyone else. It will run eventually by hitting the reset. Yes, I know about oil build up and the big boom. When it does run the transformer gets hot. Is there anyway I can check it? OHM it out? I have over 30 yrs. HVAC experience and would like to help. Thanks Everyone for the help. Need more info? Please ask. Thanks Again.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
There are several things that can cause it not to light reliably.

I had to play with mine quite a bit to get it just right.

1. Gap distance
2. Gap position. Both back and forth and up and down
3. Dirty Nozzle
4. Too much or too little air flow

There are several web sites that describe all of these things in more details.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe he's gone Bill, hopefully off to find a qualified technician.

Here's the thing though. If you know the make\model of the burner, you can get all the specifications from their web site. As far as testing goes all I'll say is that the transformer puts out 10,000 volts so some degree of caution must be used when testing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks