How to replace a copper fitting close to another fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

jfhardy

Reaction score
Sorry for the duplicate post. I posted this in the remodel forum when I should have posted in plumbing.

I am working on a basement finish and I have just completed installing ¾ inch hot and cold copper supply lines for a new bathroom. I installed shutoffs before putting in the supply lines. I just turned on the water to pressurize the lines and I have 1 leak. There is a 90 degree elbow about 1 inch from the shut off in the hot supply line. The joint in the fitting on the shut-off side is the leaker. So now I think I need to:
1) drain the lines
2) heat up that fitting and take it apart
3) clean the pipe up, removing all of the old solder
4) re-solder in a new fitting

My question is will I compromise the soldered joint in the shutoff (that is only one inch away) when I heat and take apart the fitting I need to replace? Are there any steps I can take to protect the nearby soldered joint before heating up the one I need to take apart? I am an amateur and I have never taken apart a soldered fitting before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jack

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks