short cycling--finding the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

jasonf

Reaction score
Hi all: I'm new to this business. I really liked some of the posts so here I am.

My pump short cycles. I'm trying to find out where the problem is. This is what I know so far
--the well mate tank wm6 seems light and empty, no condensation
--the pumped is submersed. I have have no record of what type it is
--I pumped tank up to 40lbs (doesn't take but three pushes on a bicycle pump), seems like I gain a second between short cycles, then drops to its regular 3 second interval
--if I bleed air out of tank, water comes out through the schrader valve ...though it seems empty for the most part
--pressure gauge on pipe is broken and has water in it
--pressure gauge is in line with the pipe from the water tank, but there's two faucets on either side of it (one on the pipe coming from the well, one on the pipe going to the house)
--there's water on the ground under the tank

I am hoping that the problem is with the tank and not the well. I'm confused as to why water comes out of the schrader valve and still the tank seems empty. Is this enough info to paint a picture as what the short cycling problem might be?

Thanks!

Jason

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If water is coming out the tank is shot...Replace the tank...air pressure should be 1-2# lower than the cut in pressure of the switch...

Replace the pressure gauge while your at it...

Last edited:

jasonf

Reaction score
thanks-all systems go

Hey folks,

Thanks for your prompt replies! Installed a new tank and pressure gauge...everything is working tip top.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks