Issue with the Installation of a Price Pfister shower valve body

Users who are viewing this thread

leed613

Reaction score
Remodeling my bathroom and I have installed a new Price Pfister shower valve (0X8 series) and trim (Treviso model, 808 series). I was careful to place the body of the valve flush with the finished wall, but upon installation of the handle, it is ~1 inch from the trim deck.

I was wondering if the screw stem extender (the handle's allen screw connects here) is too long, but there does not appear to option not to use it in the installation.

Any help would be great,

Thanks.

leed613

Reaction score

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Notice in the rough in spec, the distance from c/l water lines to finish wall is 2 5/8" to 3½". That is your leeway, and the handle stem has length to allow for anything within this range. You are all the way at one end of the tolerance, so you happen to have your handle out at the max. distance out from the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

The distance between the handle and the trim ring is not a fixed amount. It can vary within the range of the rough in dimensions, and even that is not necessarilyd the exact latitude of adjustment.

leed613

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Given that the install is near (if not finally) complete, I was wondering about two options.

1) Remove the stem and set the screw into guide coming off the valve body. This would place it the correct distance from the trim, but the screw would be in the nylon body. I recognize this is not optimal, but over the long term I think the impact would be minimal since the handle and the nylon stem are a tight fit.

2) The second option would be to cut the extender at the end it threads into the valve body and rethread it.

I recognize I may be a bit obsessive about this, but the 1" overage is somewhat distracting.

Thanks for both of your inputs, I think I am getting close to resolution.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On most valves, the plaster guard is supposed to be removed after you've finished the wall. Its sole purpose is to ensure the hole you make in the finished wall is large enough to service the valve and to keep plaster, thinset, paint, etc. off of it until you are ready to install the finished trim pieces. It usually also has some max min marks on it to help you position it in the wall so that when finished the trim will fit. Many people do not like the look of the trim if it is sticking out near the maximum...personally, I prefer it to be closer in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

The screw into the plastic stem would be a normal situation when the extender was not used. But you are being overly critical if that extra length is disturbing to you. IF a plumber had installed it, you could be sure that the majority of them would have installed it that way. We never know for sure if the customer is really going to make the wall the thickness he tells us, so we prefer to err on the positive side so we do not wind up having to find and furnish an extension.

leed613

Reaction score
Thanks to all....

Thanks for everyone's help, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I currently plan to leave it as is.

P.S. The shower glass enclosure guy is coming this week to glass it in; so the job will offically be over by Wednesday!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks