Water Hammer in lawn system

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank Mitchell

Reaction score
A few months ago, a local landscaping contractor installed an automatic watering system for my lawn. Since then, a loud water hammer shock occurs in the house system when the valve closes.

I just noticed that he had installed a Sioux Chief Mini-Rester size AA, as shown on your web site, in the water supply pipe and mounted it horizontally.

Could you please tell me if a horizontal mounting is OK? If so, what could I do to get the arrestor to work properly?

Thanks, Frank

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The AA is rated for single fixture use and can be mounted horizontally. It is important that it is located near the solenoids (the source of the shock). It may be inadequately sized ...call the guy back out to your home and have him resolve the issue

Frank Mitchell

Reaction score
Thank you. But is the device the type that depends on having an air pocket?

If so, the installer may have neglected/forgotten to empty it of water and therefore easy to fix.

If not, it will give me some ammunition to complain to the installer.

Thanks for responding,
Frank

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Thank you. But is the device the type that depends on having an air pocket?

If so, the installer may have neglected/forgotten to empty it of water and therefore easy to fix.

If not, it will give me some ammunition to complain to the installer.

Thanks for responding,
Frank

This unit has a piston inside it and does not ever need to have water emptied to function ...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
minirestor

The hammer noise is being generated AT the valve, so if it is not installed near the valve making the noise, it will be either not help at all, or be minimally effective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks