Tile subfloor

Users who are viewing this thread

ctx32

Reaction score
The floor construction in our home consists of a 7/8 thick subfloor,
7/8 thick hardwood floor, 1/4 plywood sheeting which makes the floor pretty thick.
Can I lay the Hardiebacker board on top of all this, So I can lay a tile floor?
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No. Not because of a strength issue, but because dimmensional lumber just moves too much from season to season. 1/4" ply is often luan, which is quite unstabile just the moisture form thinset can cause it to delaminate.

Is the first layer wood planks? Those can stay, but you need at least 1/2" c-faced or better ply on top of the planks to isolate you from the wood. The ply needs exposure I glue (not to glue the ply to the subfloor, to make the ply).

Then, you need some sort of isolation membrane or cbu, installed properly (thinset under then screws or nails), then you can tile.

If you want a long-lasting tile install, you also need to verify that the joists are okay.

The floor you have is plenty stiff between the joists (but would move too much in the seasons)...now you need to determine the strength of the joists.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for tiling info.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Good idea to check john bridge forum. Actually, I am thinking that you are OK. There is the question mark about the movement of that hardwood, but I would be inclined to use RedGard, or the Schluter membrane system, on top of your plywood. See what they recommend over on johnbridge.com

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/4" ply just isn't stable enough for tile and won't isolate movement from the hardwood underneath. Industry standards call for a minimum of 1/2" ply above dimmensional softwoods (which don't move as much as hardwoods with the seasonal humidity changes). Plus, there's almost no 1/4" ply that has the right glue - luan certainly doesn't.

Plus, getting screws or even nails into hardwoods to hold down the cbu would be a major pain.

ctx32

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone, I think I may go with something else instead of tile.
I just can't remove the 1/4 plywood without changing allot of other things
Thanks for keeping me from making a big mistake ans having a bad tile job.
Calvin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks